How easy is it to replace the battery connector(s)

Any electrical issues

How easy is it to replace the battery connector(s)

by Leigh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm

As one of the many little things I want to sort on the car, I want to replace the -VE connector on the car, and also either replace or redo the -VE to chassis lead.

I know you can buy the connector for a couple of quid, but what's the usual/best way of reattaching it?

The original looks like it's crimped on, so assuming I can prise it open I won't have to cut the cable (doesn't look to be a lot of slack there...).

I've got wire crimpers but they're only the standard sort of size for the likes of audio connectors etc, I don't think they're heavy duty enough (or wide enough..) to do the battery lead. If you solder it on, do you need a really havy duty soldering iron? (what sort of range?)..

The battery to chassis lead looks like I can just recrimp it on the chassis side, it's showing tinges of Copper oxide green and a few strands are out of the connector.

The -VE terminal has had a lot of fur on it for a year or two now, despite cleaning it off, and putting Vaseline jelly over it, it always comes back.

sorry for more questions, but I'm determined to get her back to full health ,...or as close as I can get myself with spending a wad of cash..

:)
Leigh

Re: How easy is it to replace the battery connector(s)

by Callyman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:46 pm

To solder the lead into the new connector, you can hold the connector in a vice, with the hole facing up. heat it with a blowtorch etc, and melt loads of solder into it, then whilst molten. drop the lead in. :) easy.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Stupink » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm

Do you mean the positive? or are you talking about the negative as you've said??
because if you do mean the neg and you're not mis typed, then just buy the whole lead, its only a few quid, bolted to the chassis.. so a 30second to change over part with no soldering or anything needed.
if you're on about the positive however then yeah that connects to the ecu loom and is more worthwhile talking about refixing a new connector only.???
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:39 pm

Ah, nice spot Stupink !
Yes, I did definately mean the negative, but I got the impression from a quick look that the main connector disappears down into the engine bay as part of the loom somwhere...

So are all of the -VE connections just routed back to that one fixing bolt/nut/point inside the wing?
If so, great !

I can see that the smaller ones are (the ones that are attached to the main -VE connector on the sides).
If it's that simple I'm a)going to be happy b) going to kick myself for not realising and/or asking sooner!!

I'd even had a quick word with one of our plant sparkies today , as they've got some nice heavy duty crimpers for the various heavy duty electrical stuff we have on site.

If it's just the lead by itself I'll give autovaux a ring tommorow,
thanks a lot!
Leigh

by Stupink » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:50 pm

af far as i know,(some cally looms are different) the main neg battery connection should be a single lead bolting to that fixing point, any minor leads going to either the fixing point or connecting to the battery should be bolt-on to the main lead not crimped into it :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I just had a look when I got in from work, can't believe I never spotted that before, not exactly that cramped in an 8V engine bay is it now !!

It's bolted to the block. I think where my confusion has arisen from the fact that it does go along side the +VE lead, and then has that sticky black insulating/fabric tape around it, so it 'looks' like it's all going into one, but the -VE comes out just after and bolts to the engine block. (and the smaller leads attached via the various bolts on the connector itself then going back to the earth point on the passenger wing side)

Of course after giving it 5 seconds thought and having it made clear (thank Stupink) it's blindingly obvious that it's not part of the same loom, only had the car 6 years, you think I'd have sussed that one by now!!!

I phoned autovaux just before 6 but he didnt have a price, and said it's probably an 'order from vauxhall' job, so if anyone knows somewhere that stocks them let me know :)
Leigh

by Stupink » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I would be supprised if anywhere stocked it on the shelf, can't see who other than autovaux/vauxhall would have it, you could try vauxhall they will search their dealers.. but it may hurt your wallet lol.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:09 pm

I can feel a trip to the scrappies coming on this saturday....
Still after a drivers seat subframe as well, might be able to kill 2 or 3 birds with one small round piece of rock
Leigh

by vinny_69 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 pm

if not give us a shout about the subframe bud :mrgreen:
vinny_69

by Leigh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Will do Vinny, it's only the size and weight for postage that's a bit of a b*gger ! :)
Leigh

by vinny_69 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:32 am

whats your location bud?
vinny_69

by Leigh » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 am

Liverpool mate, bit too far to pop down and pickup! Same problem with the one Taz has got,he's in Corby.
Leigh

by vinny_69 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 am

be a nice day out for ya and its always sunny in corby :D
vinny_69

by tazz666 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:35 pm

vinny_69 wrote:be a nice day out for ya and its always sunny in corby :D

and a lot of fun,lol
tazz666

by crinklebender » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Leigh wrote:

I phoned autovaux just before 6 but he didnt have a price, and said it's probably an 'order from vauxhall' job, so if anyone knows somewhere that stocks them let me know :)

This company has almost every kind of battery connector

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... mepage.php
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next