knock sensor location

Any electrical issues

knock sensor location

by starr.gavin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:46 pm

just a quick question really regarding the knock sensor.

iv just done the paper clip test and it came up with 16 which is knock sensor 1 (red top 16 valve on a k reg) im just wondering where it is located. is the one behind the exhaust manifold ? if so i have changed this sensor many times before and had the fault cleared. if ive been changing the wrong one then im being a bit stupid, but if it is this one what can i look for that may be making the sensor throw up a fault.

cheers

p.s does any one have a pic of the red top engine with the locations of all the sensors or not.

p.p.s my exhaust is starting to sound a little raspy could this be down to the cat starting to collapse as ive heard if you de-cat a 16 valve engine they sound awfull

cheers again

gav
starr.gavin

Re: knock sensor location

by RobbieV » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:55 pm

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by starr.gavin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm

ive changed that one too down the back of the engine. my calibra has been off the road for 2 years whils i drove my supra. ive just reacently put the calibra back on the road and forgot how much of a pain in the arse these faults were.

ive read the lingo on the link in the previous post, but is there anythink i can take a look at that may be throwing up this fault or is it simply that the timing on the pistons firing is to blame, if so is there anything that can be altered so the faults dont crop up.

cheers for the link though fella came in usefull

gav
starr.gavin

by Bunnygirl1978 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Just an idea, but have you dissconnected the battery for at least 30mins to ensure that all faults are cleared before you try doing the paper clip test, otherwise you'll keep getting the same code. BUT guessing as the car has been off the road for so long hoping the battery would have flattened completely by then.
Also check all wiring connections to the sensor is and where it connects too.
I maybe wrong here but I think if you have de-cat the exhaust you'll have to put it back in for the MOT as it wont pass without one, plus new emmisions rating came in a while ago, making most cars requiring one.
What are the symptons of the car causing issues for you?

It might not be the sensor at fault
Bunnygirl1978

by starr.gavin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:36 pm

yea the battery had been flat for some time so any faults should have cleared by now,

i havent de-cat the exhaust its just starting to sound raspy. i had de-cat it in the past but but it back on because it sounded awful without it on. but any way its through its mot now and its back on the road.

im just concerned about this fault code its the only fault the ecu has ever thrown up apart from this the car is great, if its not a faulty sensor where do i need to start looking to find the answers

gav
starr.gavin

by starr.gavin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 am

any one know what i can look out for or check to see why the knock sensor keeps reporting the fault
starr.gavin

by Fraz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:01 pm

have you actually read the fault codes or just presuming its the same fault
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Phantom » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:07 am

does the car drive normally? does it throw the eml light on at all?
Phantom