v6 earthing problem

Any electrical issues

v6 earthing problem

by TinyEm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:08 pm

ello all - been a while since i have posted and have at long last made a start on my v6. Electrical problem that drains the battery when driving and also sends all the central locking nuts before cutting out and not restarting.

Thoughts are and earthing problem - going to look at the earthing strap at the weekend, but anyone have any thoughts for other things to check. Obviously alternator and new battery tried. Bless the new battery got her 20 miles down the road !

Really want to get her running!

fankoo all xxx
TinyEm :D
TinyEm

Re: v6 earthing problem

by Stupink » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:35 pm

so the batt doesnt go flat if plugged in but not running??

must be something beyond the ignition switch then, but i find that hard to believe it could draw enough, so possibly just relayed, ie something like the starter motor??

put your volt meter over the battery, get a reading, start the car get a reading, it should be lower value if its draining, then just pull each non-essential fuse one at a time (and re-insert) see if any of them make a difference..
if no luck try get a clip on ammeter and put it on the cable going to the starter motor, make sure its not on there when cranking as it will probably draw too much and go off the scale.. but shoudlnt be any drain once started up. (the big fat wire from battery + going direct to starter)

sorry for jibberish, half asleep :)
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net