se9 not charging.

Any electrical issues

se9 not charging.

by flat-eric » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:28 pm

hi peeps, just got my se9 home after nursing her the last mile ish.

electrical problem relating to the alternator, previous owner had a recon one fitted and after having a quick look today it looks new.
put a good battery on and she read 12.8v on the multimetre. started the car up and she read 12.4 and started to drop very slowly.

what should be my next course of action?

rob.
flat-eric

Re: se9 not charging.

by Fraz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:43 pm

sounds like the alternator is not working, easy way to check is open the door leave the interior light on ...rev the engine and watch the light, should get brighter as you rev...if not then alternator is faulty (common fault on a V6) or have you meter across the battery and rev the engine and see if the voltage goes up

how long ago was this one fitted?? and you best also check the alternator cooling fan is working...its under the long plastic bit coming from the right side of the engine, take the plastic bit off and you will see the cooling fan, see if it spins freely ...if not your going to need one of those as well (another common problem) and they are not easy to come by (Usually)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by flat-eric » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Fraz wrote:sounds like the alternator is not working, easy way to check is open the door leave the interior light on ...rev the engine and watch the light, should get brighter as you rev...if not then alternator is faulty (common fault on a V6) or have you meter across the battery and rev the engine and see if the voltage goes up

how long ago was this one fitted?? and you best also check the alternator cooling fan is working...its under the long plastic bit coming from the right side of the engine, take the plastic bit off and you will see the cooling fan, see if it spins freely ...if not your going to need one of those as well (another common problem) and they are not easy to come by (Usually)

have done what you say and no its obviously not not charging at all rev rev and no change on either lights or metre.

the alti is a recent recon fitted by a previous owner, but it seams it may have been fitted incorrectly or is a duff one.

whats the best way to attack this? get it up on ramps and go from underneath?

rob.
flat-eric

by Fraz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Oh this is not a job for the faint hearted!!! and will be a few swear words

you need to get under the car to get it out ....and even then its what else you need to take off to get to the damn thing and get enough room to get it out

not having a V6...its only been once I helped

there is two ways one is remove the O/S strut and get to it that way

but IMHO the easier way is from underneath, you will still have to at least drop the centre drive shaft support, no doubt the V6 people will tell you what else
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 pm

oh does the ignition light come on??? just if not believe it or not of the bulb is blown the charger circuit will not be complete ..thus wont be charging the battery
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by flat-eric » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Fraz wrote:oh does the ignition light come on??? just if not believe it or not of the bulb is blown the charger circuit will not be complete ..thus wont be charging the battery

ignition light when?

im excited now at an easy fix possibility!

im a pretty competent amature mechanic and have done engine and gearbox swaps a restored a 1980 mini so getting stuck in isnt a problem but the cold weather is coming!

any help or advice much appreciated!

rob.
flat-eric

by v6 steve » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:39 pm

didnt i say it would be your alternator last night :whistle:
as fraz says your best to drop it down it will take a good hour theres not much room enjoy
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 pm

when you turn the key on...does the ignition light come on??
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by flat-eric » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm

v6 steve wrote:didnt i say it would be your alternator last night :whistle:
as fraz says your best to drop it down it will take a good hour theres not much room enjoy

day off tomorrow so i think i'll get stuck in and have a look!

anyone with pics of what i'm looking for would be a bonus!

it is a new / recon unit on there so im hoping its just wired up wrong! or not connected properly.

if not then i dunno whether to try another unit but that will cost a bomb!

rob
flat-eric

by flat-eric » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Fraz wrote:when you turn the key on...does the ignition light come on??

cant check now the battery flat! lol will check with my spare tomorrow.

if no bulb is it just a case of dash out and replace?

rob.
flat-eric