V6 Battery Drain!

Any electrical issues

V6 Battery Drain!

by timbo-se9-v6 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:00 am

Does anyone have any usual suspects for a battery drain problem :?:

My SE9 V6 will drain itself flat if not driven for 5 days or so. I've recently replaced battery and alternator so know both of those are working. I've checked obvious things like boot light, glove box light... The car has the standard factory fitted vauxhall alarm fitted.

Checked it with a friend and whilst measuring the current we noticed a bit of a drop when the fuse for circuit 8 was removed, think this circuit is for interior light, stereo, clock, hazards... I noticed that the central locking activated (and locked the car) when this fuse was removed too.

Anyone have any experience with stuff like this or any other ideas / suggestions as to where to check?

Cheers!
Tim
timbo-se9-v6

Re: V6 Battery Drain!

by RobbieV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Had the same problem with mine, turned out to be the interior light system. once the car was locked and alarmed the interior light system was still drawing power even tho the light had gone out. Auto electrician fixed it but can't remember what he did :roll: only cost me 25 quid to sort it ;)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Do a drain test on the battery. If there is a drain, then do the fuses to find what circuit is causing it.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by RobbieV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:38 pm

callyman wrote:Do a drain test on the battery. If there is a drain, then do the fuses to find what circuit is causing it.

Didn't you read the first post :?: You ninny :lol:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:58 pm

RobbieV wrote:
callyman wrote:Do a drain test on the battery. If there is a drain, then do the fuses to find what circuit is causing it.

Didn't you read the first post :?: You ninny :lol:

Obviously not :roll: Ive had an awful day stock taking and my back is shot to bits, I need my bed.
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by RobbieV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:01 pm

Ahhhhhh, would you like me to look after your cally till you get better ........... :lol:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:10 pm

As long you you stay under 3k revs, you can. In fact its painfull driving it like it.
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by RobbieV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:16 pm

callyman wrote:As long you you stay under 3k revs, you can. In fact its painfull driving it like it.

Right on my way round :wink: (gonna mash that fast pedal :lol: )
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 pm

RobbieV wrote:
callyman wrote:As long you you stay under 3k revs, you can. In fact its painfull driving it like it.

Right on my way round :wink: (gonna mash that fast pedal :lol: )

You pay to rebuild it again then. :lol:
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by timbo-se9-v6 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Cheers RobbieV, that gives me hope, I did consider the interior light but couldn't be sure if that was making a difference. I think I'll need to get an auto electrician to have a little look at it, hopefully it will be a cheap one to locate and fix for me too!
timbo-se9-v6

by timbo-se9-v6 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:44 pm

By the way, many months on now but if it's of any use I did get an auto-electrician round and he found out what it was in the end - actually TWO culprits!

The main one was the remote-locking & alarm receiver unit that sits behind the glove box, it was the factory fitted one so I guess it was pretty old. That was pulling a steady 30 or 40 mA, and also the car stereo that I had put in was pulling around 20 mA so had to be upgraded...

Now the car is pulling around 6 - 7 mA when all powered down, which is still higher than it should be (apparently shouldn't be more than around 4 or 5 mA) but it's not in the danger zone and at least it won't drain my battery completely after one week of not driving! :)
timbo-se9-v6