Brake light earth problem?

Any electrical issues

Brake light earth problem?

by Tangerine » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 pm

i changed the lexarse lights i had to standards, before i did that, all my lights were working perfectly. i put the standard lights on and used the lexarse wiring harness until i got proper bulbholders. even then i had a problem with the brake light, so must have disturbed something during the change.

The brake light itself worked at first, but not as a side light, then the problem magicaly switched around, so i had a sidelight instead of a brake light, then it switched over again. :lol:

i put on the bulb holders today assuming it was the lexarse wiring, but now the bulb isn't lighting at all. it did initialy work as a sidelight again until i put the headlights on full beam and pressed the brake, i've had nothing on that bulb since apart from the annoying lights on the dash :lol:

the problem has to be south of the plug and it points to an earth somewhere im sure, before i decide how to tackle it, where should i be looking? the problem side is the drivers side rear light.

today i also found out its leaking water into the boot from that side, (nothing to do with the problem as it was doing this right after the change in the bone dry) now it stinks.....it never rains but it pours!
Tangerine

Re: Brake light earth problem?

by Tangerine » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:38 pm

this issue's driving me nuts now, that bulb isn't lighting up at all. its not the bulb itself, its not the light wiring, its not the plug, its not the earth, so it has to be a split in the wiring loom somewhere?

ive no idea how its happened, the looms barely moved in the light change
Tangerine

Re: Brake light earth problem?

by Tangerine » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 am

it was randomly swapping sidelight and brakelight problems before it stopped working altogether, the load on the electrical system seemed to change what problem i had, it also seemed to cause a problem with one of the number plate lights. the other sidelight in that lamp works perfectly, as do all the other lights. unless the strange loads have cause the fuse to pop, it should still be okay, but may explain why i get nothing from it now. although it doesnt explain why i was getting the weird issues after changing the lights over that could cause it to pop.

im begining to wish id left the lexarse lights on tbh :lol:
Tangerine