Code 71 and 73 on Ecotec 16v

Any electrical issues

Code 71 and 73 on Ecotec 16v

by eco16v » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Replaced the rubber ducting that the air intake temp sensor fits into today as old 1 was split, started car up and on came my old friend Mr EML. Flashed the codes and got 71 - Air intake temp sensor voltage high and 73 - Mass airflow temperature voltage low. Checked connections, cleaned intake sensor but still the light was on, took car for a drive and switched it off, then on again and light went off, let car sit for an hour or so but when i restarted on came the light again Any ideas what to do next?
eco16v

Re: Code 71 and 73 on Ecotec 16v

by James_Mould » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Have you checked all the wires? Maybe theres a break causing the fault. Make sure theres no air getting in after the sensor too as that could confuse things.
Its big... Its BLUE... Its behind you
Magnetic blue SE8
Diamond black turbo 4x4
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MarkSE7 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Disconnect the battery for 10 mins to clear the faults and see if they come back on. Did you have the ignition on with the sensors unplugged?
MarkSE7

by eco16v » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Checked all wiring, everything seems ok, tried clearing the codes but no use. Everything was left unplugged overnite when i removed the old ducting tho.
eco16v

by Calibra_Mike » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:11 pm

I had a problem like this on my old 8valver, was getting fault codes coming up telling me it was the airflow meter... I spent ages trying to sort it out, tried three different AFMs, in the end I ended up testing the wires on the cable going to the AMF and found two wires had really high resistance on the multimeter but would change when i wiggles the wires, turned out that some of the wires must have had slight brakes in them, re-wired it and problem stopped... not saying this is your problem but dont rule of dodgy wires... invest in a good multimeter or ur be :banging:
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by eco16v » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Just to make thing a bit more interesting today, when the engine is warm and u switch the car off and then on again the eml goes off, but if u leave the car for say an hour or so and the engine cools down then the eml comes on again as soon as u start the car up.
eco16v

by eco16v » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Ok problem seems to be sorted, disconnected sensors and battery last nite and left it until this evening. Reconnected sensors and then battery, started her up a few times and all seems to be well. Hopefully its cured, but time will tell!
eco16v