key wont turn in ignition barrel

Any electrical issues

key wont turn in ignition barrel

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:02 pm

tryed to start car but key wont turn. not the steerin lock any 1 know how to take the ignition barrel appart?
jat noahn

Re: key wont turn in ignition barrel

by Fraz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:16 pm

you need the key in position 1 before you can take the barrel out.

remove the plastic bits around the steering column, then you need a small pointed implement (pin does) and there is a very small hole just on top of the ignition barrel Assembly, put the pin in and this will push down the lock of the barrel...should then just pull out ..may have to take the ignition wire assemble off the back., held on with a lock screw
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Fraz wrote:you need the key in position 1 before you can take the barrel out.

remove the plastic bits around the steering column, then you need a small pointed implement (pin does) and there is a very small hole just on top of the ignition barrel Assembly, put the pin in and this will push down the lock of the barrel...should then just pull out ..may have to take the ignition wire assemble off the back., held on with a lock screw

does this involve removing the steering wheel
jat noahn

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm

jat noahn wrote:
Fraz wrote:you need the key in position 1 before you can take the barrel out.

does this involve removing the steering wheel

key will not move at all just goes in
jat noahn

by Fraz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:26 pm

no need to remove steering wheel, and if the key wont turn then you will have to try and get it to turn, gently tap round the barrel with a hammer while turning the key ...be worse if the steering lock is on
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Fraz wrote:no need to remove steering wheel, and if the key wont turn then you will have to try and get it to turn, gently tap round the barrel with a hammer while turning the key ...be worse if the steering lock is on

wont go to position one and steering lock has come back on
i think i'm fubared
jat noahn

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm

ok lock out (basturd) now to get the key out and remove steering lock or get another barrl
any idea,s for a temp fix

gonna try with just the wire and connection
jat noahn

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:30 pm

ok car turnsover but wont fire ,is this because of the immobiliser
even with the barrell out still cant turn key

pm please this is security thanks
jat noahn

by Fraz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:09 pm

so you have the ignition barrel completely out of the steering column...so long as the key is near the sender unit it should still start ...is the steering lock still on??

and best get on to Autovaux and order a new barrel and key
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Fraz wrote:so you have the ignition barrel completely out of the steering column...so long as the key is near the sender unit it should still start ...is the steering lock still on??

and best get on to Autovaux and order a new barrel and key

no way will it start even with unit put together/ or turning the rear of the unit with the key placed in the sender
jat noahn

by jat noahn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm

yes its the right key /master
f**k keycare job cant find the detail and flux is shut and im at work 5am f**k
jat noahn

by BAD63R-V6 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

Yeh this exact thing happened to my old 2.5 Calibra. Never did get it sorted but when trying to turn the key, I had to wiggle it whilst pulling it out very slowly for it to catach correctly. Mine was down to the fact that the key was starting to where a little and wasn't putting the pins in the right position for it to turn. So replace or s said above, wiggle it and have a bit patients.
BAD63R-V6

by MarkSE7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:33 am

I had this when I picked mine up, was sat at a petrol station blocking the place because I couldn't get the key to turn no matter what. Turns out the tumblers in the barrel were all jammed up, gave it a good spray with WD40 and it was fine.
MarkSE7

by jat noahn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

barrell is out and car will start with key by transponder, but with no ignition barrell the steering lock comes on

what i need is another barrell and key, and get a dummy key cut so as to start the car and have my key taped to the transponder and hey -ho it should go

any one got a key and barrel :?:
jat noahn

by Robs-se » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Have you tried a squirt of wd40 in the keyhole?
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next