HELP.... Remote Locking Advice... (Again)

Any electrical issues

by craigmcd82 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi All,

Well my legs started feelin better this week, so today I decided to have a crack at the remote locking kit I bought.

Wired it all up as instructions say, also rang helpline to double check.

When I plug the remote unit in, the doors lock as expected.

But when I press the keyfob absolutely NOTHING happens.... Not even a click from the box. The LED on the keyring lights up though.

Im pretty sure all the connections are good cos ive checked them ALL with a multimeter. Also, if I lock using the key as normal, the LED for the remote kit flashes, as expected....

Could it be possible that theres enough power left in the fobs batteries to light the LED, but not enough to transmit a signal to the remote unit?

Im hoping this is the problem, otherwise it must be the unit that it faulty and then i dont know what to do.....

Any help / advise would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Craig.
craigmcd82

by Ivorcally » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:16 pm

Hi,

It may be that your remote has forgotten its code. Look in the manual and see if there are instructions for resetting this - there is for mine but it is a Cobra one not a Vaux.

Good luck,

Keith [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Ivorcally

FSE BOOSTE VALVE

by craigmcd82 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:25 pm

Good point Keith...

But Ive read the manual over and over and theres nothing about resetting the code.

Its the "System 90" remote locking.. As used in the how to guide on here... So fairly common.

Im stuck for ideas now. I guess it is possible that the keyrings are faulty..

Ive just been messing with it, and I can feel the unit 'clicking' as I lock and unlock using the key - so all signs are showing that this thing is working, just not remotely...!

Anyone got any more ideas?
craigmcd82

by Leigh » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:36 pm

Definately get some new batteries first...
I got several replacements from the local Maplins, about 99p each.

Not to dishearten you, but I initiallly had a few probs with mine. One fob would lock/unlock no problem, the other would do it once in 50 tries (if that). I got two replacement fobs from the service place, then neither would work , ended up being sent a replacement control box, which solved the problem. There is a way to get the remotes into 'learn' mode, but it involves very very tiny soldering skills, something I was none too keen on trying (given that my first ever soldering was fitting the kit!)

If the replacement batteries don't help, and you're trebly sure all the wiring is ok (I had MAJOR problems at first, because I misunderstood where to connect the earth lead, so didn't have a good earth, and the system would lock , then wouldn't unlock until I got VERY lucky. and the LED started to fade. Once I redid the earth in the correct place inside the wing, it was all fine),.. then I'd ring the helpline back. The guy was really helpful with all the problems I had (you can tell it's not run by Vauxhall :-) )

Hope it's just nice and easy case of weak batteries...
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:41 pm

Ok, cheers Leigh.

Im not getting any weird random problems like the led fading or it working very occasionally, so I dont think its a loose connection or bad earth. I have checked the connections lots of times, oh and the guy on the help line said that as long as the live, ignition live, and earth is connected, then the relay should at least click when u press the fob....

Also, i got it cheap (but unused) off ebay, so i wander how long its been sitting about before Ive installed it....

So, ive talked myself into it being the batteries... Unfortunealty theres no Maplins near me, and im anxious to try it asap - can you think of anywhere else that might sell them? Tesco?

Thanks for the help [img]/smile.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

Thought this was funny - progressive Nova mod...

by Ivorcally » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:45 pm

Hi,

Try a camera shop for batteries.

Keith [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Ivorcally

by craigmcd82 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:04 pm

Good idea!

If all else fails, does anyone have a contact number / email for 'Alarmbod'?

He doesnt seem to visit the forum anymore, but might be able to help me out...

Cheers 8)
craigmcd82

by Leigh » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:41 pm

He's the guy who works on the helpline mate :-)
The number is in the back of the booklet, he came on here after my repeated conversations with him and I mentioned the site..
Number is (02476) 375999
(just in case u have a really old bookelt, the number changed , mine has it on a sticker over the original)
Leigh

by Admin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-craigmcd82+--><div class='quotetop'>(craigmcd82)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Good idea!

If all else fails, does anyone have a contact number / email for 'Alarmbod'?

He doesnt seem to visit the forum anymore, but might be able to help me out...

Cheers 8)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=638" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=...ofile&u=638</a>
Admin

by craigmcd82 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:05 pm

Ah, right.... Well Ive rang him several times today, and he basically said that if the unit is faulty I have to contact vauxhall and they will replace it....

One problem - I bought it off ebay [img]/sad.gif[/img]

And to make things worse, I just got in after finding a place that sells the batteries... No joy, even with the new battery, it still does absolutely nothing.

So at the moment, ive paid £37 to get another flashing LED on the dash! :roll:

Bugger....

Any more ideas? ... Keep em coming! [img]/smile.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

by skellem » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:20 am

Craig, just got your PM, so I'll reply here.

The only thing I can think of is the switched live, ie current when the car's on and no current when the car's switched off. (The thin black wire in the loom)

That tells the RCL when the car is running and won't work - it's a safety feature. Check that one again, and also check that the orange wire which is connected to it doesn't have any breaks in it (maybe try testing it right where it goes into the RCL box using a pin and your multimeter.

I'm afraid that's all that I can think of, you said you have checked all the other connections, so it should work. Well, you did get it off ebay, so there are no guarantees that it was a working unit to start with!

Was it sold as "new, unused and boxed" or had it been fitted before?
skellem

by skellem » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:22 am

Oh...also check the 15 amp fuse [img]/wink.gif[/img]
skellem

by craigmcd82 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:40 am

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was it sold as "new, unused and boxed" or had it been fitted before?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It hadnt been used before - all the scotchlocks etc were still in the sealed back and the wires had clearly never been touched. Ive been in touch with the seller, and they have been very good about it. Theyre trying to help and are looking for the reciept. They said a relative bought it for them, but they didnt get around to fitting it.

Ive checked all the connections in the plug that goes into the unit, but will do as you say, and try further up the wire with a pin, tomorrow.

All I can think to do other than that is to pester the help line, and maybe take it into a vauxhall garage, although I cant imagine them being much help.

Ive checked the fuses, theyre all Ok...

Thanks for the help anyway... It could have been worse, at least I can still lock the car, and nothings blown up!

Cheers!
craigmcd82

by skellem » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:47 am

A good earth is also important, I scraped some paint back to bare metal the same size as the round connector and then used a short self drilling to screw straight into the bodywork. It looks like this Image That made sure I got a good earth.

Another suggestion, have a look at all the pins inside the connector block. One of them has possibly broken off or bent.
skellem

by alarmbod » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-craigmcd82+--><div class='quotetop'>(craigmcd82)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ah, right.... Well Ive rang him several times today, and he basically said that if the unit is faulty I have to contact vauxhall and they will replace it....

Any more ideas? ... Keep em coming! [img]/smile.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've sent you a PM, hopefully I can sort something out for you :wink:
alarmbod

Next