Earthing Points

Any electrical issues

Earthing Points

by sparkyjohnmarky » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I've recently been looking through the wiring diagrams in the haynes manual. Next to the vast majority of the brown earth wires, is a number when it terminates on track 31, which I believe is an earthing point. However the haynes manual conveniently fails to list the location of said earth points. Does anyone know the location of the earthing points? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Earthing Points

by Fraz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:27 pm

theres lots of them all over the car, can you narrow it down a bit
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by craigyboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 pm

The main earth terminal is at the right hand side
of the battery mate
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sparkyjohnmarky » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a number of the earths connected to the negative terminal and 5 earth wires connected on the inner wing near the battery which I assume is what craigyboy refers to as the main earth terminal.

Fraz I was refering to the location of all the earth points, I wondered if my calibra is wired in a similar way to my vectra, the earth points on the vectra are as follows

1- LH front strut turret
2- Near alternator
3- Base of LH A pillar
4- Bracket steering column/crossmember
5- Transmission column under handbrake
6- Boot rear crossmember
7- Behind LH headlight
8- Base of RH A pillar
9- On engine
10- On engine
11- Oxygen sensor/ignition coil
12- LH side of tailgate.

I know 6 is common to both and 1 is located in a similar position. I have a problem with earthing and need to locate each individual earth points in order to test for earth leakage. The car is being completely rebuilt from the ground up, so if I have to alter the earthing, or add additional earthing now would be a good time to do it.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:41 pm

it also depends on what engine is fitted and year of car for the ones on the engine at least, but I think you have most of them listed though cant recall any on strut

been a while since i had the dashboard out but I seem to remember a few behind there as well and under the front seats and the A piller drivers side also
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sparkyjohnmarky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks Fraz,

I suppose it might have been helpful to know what calibra I was talking about. I have a 94 mk1 ecotec 16v which is why I assumed the earthig was the same/similar to my vectra.
Image(385).jpg
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 am

So what is the problem your getting that your going round looking for earth points?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sparkyjohnmarky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:01 pm

The problem is earth leakage, at some point one of the previous owners has done a real number on some of the earth wires causing a high resistence. The battery (a Brand new one) looses its charge after about a week, componants will work intermitantly some stop working for a while and then start again a few days later.

the vehicle is going through a complete rebuild, so now seemed to be a good time to sort out the earthing, the main earthing point on the internal wing has too many wires attached and I was looking for alternative earthing points.

Apologies for the delayed response I've been helping a friend install a central heating system.

Thanks for the help

Regards
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net