Fuse 6 (wipers/horn) keeps blowing

Any electrical issues

by BenW » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:04 pm

As subject. For some reason this fuse keeps blowing, each time being replaced with the correct 30A fuse, but each new one doesn't last very long before blowing again. I don't think it's related to the horn, so will discount that for now - everytime it's happened it's been raining :wink:

I assume therefore there's a fault/short circuit in the wiring to the wipers - but where on earth to start looking? I am an electro-phobe you see!

Any advice appreciated. It's a 1990 Cavalier SRI, so I guess identical-ish to a Calibra.

Cheers
Ben
BenW

MOT failure - 50p + labour

by leegsi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:27 pm

Mine used to do this.

The wipper motor starts to seize and draw more and more current.

Expect to need a new wiper motor in the next few weeks
leegsi

by BenW » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:45 pm

Thanks Lee. I did try to swap it out for the one in my Kadett (known working) but sadly it's got the wrong connector.

For what it's worth, I've been spending the last couple of hours trying to trace the fault, and it did still blow with the wiper motor disconnected completely :? It now seems to blow simply after a few minutes of driving, not just when the wipers or horn are used. Any chance the wiper motor could draw the current even if the wipers aren't being used at that moment?

In fact, the last time it blew, was almost instantly after the engine was started, having first disconnected the horn push - god only knows if this is related, but I'm guessing it's just a coincidence.

I'm very confused!
BenW

by vicky80 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:32 pm

OK well we've changed the wiper motor, all appeared to be fine last night. Today however the fuse blew again! Have now replaced the wiper stalk - still no luck! Starting to really annoy us now! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should try next? All help gratefully received as I think Ben wants his car back!!!!
vicky80

by IanW » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:32 am

I would start checking for a short or something along those lines now.
IanW

by BenW » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:43 am

Thanks Ian. It's going to be a painful process, being such an electrics-monkey, but I'll give that a bash next :-)
BenW

by IanW » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:48 am

I am sure Vicky will say not to rush, I am sure she is enjoying driving the Calibra.

If i was a bit more local i would give you a hand running through it, but it is worth spending the time working it all through. Fatz might be able to offer you some tips about what to check.
IanW

by vicky80 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:35 pm

Thanks Ian!

I am enjoying driving the Calibra but do really need my car back to get to work!
vicky80

by vicky80 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:10 pm

OK so today Ben tried the rear wiper motor, the relays the horn and then him and a friend whos a mechanic spent all afternoon checking the wiring. No faults/shorts found and the fuse keeps blowing? Really confussed and desperately need my car back now!!
vicky80

by BenW » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:06 pm

...so do I ;-)
BenW

by vicky80 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:03 am

Ok next step is to get an auto-electrician to have a look. Can anyone in the Basingstoke/Tadley area recommend someone?
vicky80

by BenW » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:19 pm

FIXED!

An auto electrician sorted it in the end - the cause was a wire shorting on the clutch cable. £30-odd quid to fix, result.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, on here and in the chatroom!
BenW

by vicky80 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:07 pm

Was going to post this but Ben beat me to it! As Ben said thanks to everyone who offered help and advice!

(I miss the Calibra though!!)
vicky80

by IanW » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:28 pm

So what your really saying is Ben + Electrics = Useless [img]/tongue.gif[/img]

Glad it is all sorted though Vicky [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
IanW

by BenW » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-IanW+--><div class='quotetop'>(IanW)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So what your really saying is Ben + Electrics = Useless [img]/tongue.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
By his own admission! [img]/tongue.gif[/img]
BenW