Door Lock problem.

Any electrical issues

by Davehills77 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Guys,

I`m a newbie to the calibra owning club, just bought a 1998 16v, and im having a few problems with the drivers door lock.

1st....its jammed on a few occasions
2nd...once i do manage to lock it, the git opens itself again.

I am under no illusion that the door card inside needs to come off, but being a novice to these cars i`m not sure how to remove it?

I could rip the thing off, but I would rather not.

As for the locking problem, any advice would be good, if it has anything to do with electrics im okay with that.

Thanks in advance.....

Dave.
Davehills77

by Dan Willis » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:28 pm

There are several screws on the door card. Two (I think) around the door handle/rest and a few along the bottom.

I know of many Calibras that have those door lock symptoms... I don't know if anyone bother's fixing them or not (I didn't!).
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Davehills77 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:34 pm

Usually i wouldnt bother if it locked the door. But can you imagine standing outside the girlfriends house, on a promise, and not being able to lock your car!!!! what a dilema, get laid, or let your car get nicked.

Due to this, i wanna fix it, i`ll have a go at removing the door card, once inside im sure i`ll be fine ( be the first chance i have had to use my electronics degree )

Thanks for the advice though Dan, much appreciated.

Dave.
Davehills77

by Leigh » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:39 pm

I think it can be caused by the locking motor 'bouncing', it locks and the unlocks almost immediately.

It's easy enough to remove the door card, worst bit is getting the plastic studs to come out without snapping the supports they are in. My drivers door is fine and has been off several times (changeing motors, fitting speakers etc etc), but the one time I took my passenger side off I broke about 3 of the supports, I need to find a good glue to stick them back on (the original stuff looks like some sort of cow gum/resin/putty stuff)
Leigh

by Davehills77 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:40 pm

bloody hell, i just had a look at you website, jumped to the conculions you were male....oh how wrong was I. Nice photo though, and as for the girlfriend bit in the above post, it was a speculative comment.

Not often i talk to a female car nut, keep up the good work!!!!

Is the porker yours?

Dave.
Davehills77

by DAN » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:40 pm

For help taking the door card off see here:

<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=24&page=1" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/modules.php?op=...artid=24&page=1</a>
DAN

by Davehills77 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:44 pm

okay ill give up now, maybe i should open my eyes and read a bit. sorry Dan, like the missus though, very fine catch.....im off to have my head cleaned of all the sh$te that must be in there.

Dave.
Davehills77

by Dan Willis » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:48 pm

[img]/laugh.gif[/img]

Nice work there mate.. many have made the mistake [img]/wink.gif[/img]

That's my Gemma.. she'll be happy of the compliment!

Yes the 911 is mine. It's my baby.. but if you've seen "Family Guy" you'll know that it's just waiting to push me down the stair case of modding.. evil child [img]/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though - the lock bouncing occurs in the extreme's of heat/cold. There is no fix that I'm aware of but it usually sorts itself. A good clean of the contacts etc may help though (or a complete replacement from a scrapper too).
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net