OEM plugs tutorial (looms, fans, foglights, ICE, gauges etc)

Any electrical issues

OEM plugs tutorial (looms, fans, foglights, ICE, gauges etc)

by Chavtastic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 am

(mods feel free to sticky this!)

Okay guys I thought I'd write a quick guide to some pro wiring plugs that you can DIY to an OEM standard . This is ideal for engine bay wiring, interior mods wiring (eg gauges) and ICE wiring. Here I'll be showing you how to make an OEM style plug for a parcel shelf containing 6x9s.

Ok so here we have some 6x9's mounted in my Type-R parcel shelf

I've soldered the wires onto the speakers for security

The problem is, when the shelf is removed, the wiring needs to be split somewhere between the amp and the speaker. If you're a pikey you'll just use spade connectors which work loose after a while and never really come close to being a proper job.

So, take your wiring and strip about 5mm off the end, to suit your new terminals

This is an ideal tool to have, costs about £60 from Vehicle Wiring Products but it takes care of all the crimping side of things

Slide the rubber grommet over the ends of the wires, so it just sits level with the end of the insulation

Here's the terminal we are going to be using, sit the rubber grommet inside the larger clamps and the exposed copper wire in the smaller ones

Then just slide it into the crimping tool

This tool has a ratchet action, so you'll never release it until it's properly done, like this!

The crimped terminals will then simply click into the plugs we are using

The long (male) terminals go into the longer half of the plug

The shorter (female) terminals go into the shorter half of the plug

Make sure the wires correspond on both sides of the plug - eg you're not feeding positive into one side that runs into an earth wire on the other!

And here we have one factory-quality plug. You can really pull on the terminals and they will not come loose! It's also said to be waterproof, which is ideal if you're doing this wiring for a slimline fan or foglights.

I've even used these in my Porsche to connect non-factory wiring to a factory plug, so you can make mods plug n play AND fully reversible without needing to cut wires.

This link is useful for the tools, terminals and plugs you will need. They are well worth a visit in person too as they are very helpful chaps indeed
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... mepage.php

I hope this is helpful to you all.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: OEM plugs tutorial (looms, fans, foglights, ICE, gauges

by Phill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Does the soldering need to be done by a blind man?[/quote]

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

If you had pressed the wire on to the terminal and put about 4 times the amount of solder on then you would have got 100% coverage with a good flow like the factory soldering below your work mate.
Phill.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Chavtastic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Funny how every other site I've posted this on is met by positive comments. No wonder this site is utterly dead on it's arse and ridiculed across the net, if all people do is criticise.

I've been quick to defend .net against accusations on several other sites of it just being a clique of miserable scottish w*****s. Pathetic, humourless, middle-aged men who have only just got past the Fast + Furious school of modifying.

Perhaps I won't be so quick to defend next time.

Perhaps this is why .com was always more successful.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Phill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes i did have a good laugh at what said as i have been soldering for 15ish years. I Think that makes me qualified to give you some advice.

I was NOT Taking the p**s. There is more copper wire showing than you have solder on the terminal and the vibrations from the speakers will soon crack that joint.

When you have to do this job in the not to distant future then remember how this miserable scottish w*****r. Pathetic, humourless, middle-aged man gave you the advice you need to do a good, long lasting , looks better in a photo job.
Phill.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by craigyboy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 am

They plugs for the parcel shelf look a good idea mate.
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by James_Mould » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Looks a brilliant idea. Wish had done this instead of the spade connectors falling off after taking them off and putting them back on numerous times when taking the parcel shelf in and out.
Its big... Its BLUE... Its behind you
Magnetic blue SE8
Diamond black turbo 4x4
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:11 pm

wish you too would just get a room :romance-adore:
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo