8V SE1 Battery Charging / Alternator Problem

Any electrical issues

8V SE1 Battery Charging / Alternator Problem

by Pinner-man » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 am

The ignition light comes on shortly after the engine is started. It is not the full brightness that exists before the engine is started, sometimes while you are driving the light flashes, but still not at full brightness. I have checked the battery voltage before and after the engine is started. Before the engine is started the voltage is about 12.5V, with the engine running it raises to about 14.5V, does this suggest that the battery is charging. When the rear screen heater is turned on the brightness increases but still not to full brightness.
Not sure if it has anything to do with the problem but I have recently fitted a new battery. The alternator is less than 3 years old.

Any ideas what the problem could be.

Regards
Pinner-man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

Re: 8V SE1 Battery Charging / Alternator Problem

by Pinner-man » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks. iwill check the votage as you suggest.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by v6 steve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

i would have said its your alternator
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Pinner-man » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

I have checked the voltage with a heavy load on the battery - headlights, rear screen heater. The voltage does reduce but not by much. I spoke with the manufacturer - VALIO who suggested I should check for any loose connections to the alternator - they are all tight. They also said that the voltage regular and diodes are all built into the until and they do not supply them as replacement parts. So it seems I will have to replace the complete unit. I fitted this alterntor only just over two years ago and the car has only done about 25K miles in that time. I would not recommend VALIO in the circumstances. Of course as the unit is more than 1 year old it was out of gaurantee and they would not replace it.

Has anyone got any ideas before I go out and buy another alternator. I have driven the car for over a week and the battery still seems charged, the engine starts all the electrics seem fine, is it a real problem that the ignition light flows.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Fraz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

You could find an auto electrican and they should be able to repair it for you ..if not they shoudl also be able to get you a new one ...or look on good old ebay for one .
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net