Heater issues

Any electrical issues

Heater issues

by Andyroo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:44 am

Hi fellas been a while since I had a problem.
I went out for a ride yesterday with the missus red hot day as I I don't have the luxury of air con on my k plate cally I had the blowers on cold. But when I slid it over to hot ,steam was coming out the blowers and misted up all the windows. And it smelt like antifreeze. Can anyone help?
Regards
Andy
Andyroo

Re: Heater issues

by MarkV6 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Andy,

When you have the heater set to cold, a flap blocks off the airflow over the heater matrix and directs the incoming air straight through the heater vents.

Whilst this is going on if you have a slight leak in the pipes or heater matrix itself, the air is getting humid with engine coolant in it's little enclosed compartment.

Now when you slide the heater control to hot, the flap opens up to the matrix compartment and the incoming air mixes with the humid air and goes through the vents to where it condenses (mists up) on your cooler windscreen.

Check around the driver and passenger footwell area for damp patches, and around the heater box unit itself. Also keep an eye on your engine coolant level too.

You could also do a cooling system pressure test when the engine is cold (fit a pump and pressure gauge to the expansion tank and pressurise the system) to help find any leaks.
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Robs-se » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:08 pm

I had this on my old se and it was the heater matrix. Slide your fingers under the console and if it feels wet and soapy you need to change the matrix
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by GreyDJ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Agree, its almost certainly the matrix.

Bought one of these last year, good price, fitted well and works.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTR ... 1092292077
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net