Fan and heater

Any electrical issues

by cornishcalibra » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:31 am

Hey does anyone know why the fan and heater would stop working on a calibra 8v. They just stoped but they will both work with direct power from the battery the fuses arent blown??????????[/b]
cornishcalibra

in line crossovers

by BenW » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:27 pm

Could be a dodgy fan switch, only a few pounds to replace I think. It attaches to the lower back of the radiator on one side. I've never had one detatch itself (but you never know), but I have had them fail before - worth a look!

With the engine warm, does the temp gauge read at what you believe it should, or is it running too cold? Could be that you need a new thermostat.

HTH
Ben

PS - Welcome to the site :-)
BenW

by cornishcalibra » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:46 pm

Na the engine temp shoots up to around 100 if its sitting idle to long
cornishcalibra

by BenW » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:55 pm

Probably the fan switch then. I can post a pic of what it looks like if any help...
BenW

Initial compression test is a bit better..... I think.....

by cornishcalibra » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:06 pm

Yeah that would be ace
cornishcalibra

by RICHSE4 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:45 pm

where abouts are you,are you near penzance?
RICHSE4

by cornishcalibra » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:01 am

na near newquay why????
cornishcalibra

by BenW » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:24 am

As I'm lazy, I just scanned a pic from the Haynes manual (of an 8v as it happens) rather than actually stepping out onto the driveway to take a proper pic :oops:

Haynes says:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If a faulty switch is suspected, the circuit to the fan motor can be tested by temporarily bridging the terminals in the switch wiring plug, and switching on the ignition. If the cooling fan now operates, the switch is faulty and should be renewed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
BenW

by cornishcalibra » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:41 pm

Na it aint the switch checked that and tryed a new one it must be somewhere else so anoying though????????
cornishcalibra

by skellem » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:28 pm

Check your pollen filter. It can get that blocked that the fan makes a blowing noise but no air comes out. Take the filter out and try it. If it works, go and get a new filter!
skellem

v6 improvements

by BenW » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:35 am

Ahh, hold on, I think I misunderstood the problem...you mean the blower fan! Sorry!

Wasn't there some kind of problem with the resistors in the motor that crops up occasionally? My car apparently had this, but the last owner fixed it so unfortunately I'm not sure of the details. The info must be here somewhere though...
BenW

by cornishcalibra » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:39 am

Its both they both stopped working at the same time main cooling fan and the blower?????
cornishcalibra

by paulv6 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cornishcalibra+--><div class='quotetop'>(cornishcalibra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey does anyone know why the fan and heater would stop working on a calibra 8v. They just stoped but they will both work with direct power from the battery the fuses arent blown??????????[/b]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
you aill probebly find that the switch has gone get the proper one from the main dealer not dear
paulv6

by cornishcalibra » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:10 pm

the switch is fine????
cornishcalibra