Low oil sender unit

Any electrical issues

Power caps

by Mac » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:33 pm

Hello, My light on the dash won't go out, can't afford to get a new bit yet, So can I just bridge the connector on the dash/bulb side with a U shaped bit of metal to make the light go out?
Will this damage anything?
Don't think this sender is that important anyway,am I wrong??
Cheers.
Mac

by Mac » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:44 pm

No answer's, someone must have been is this situation before.
Mac

by SukySaggi » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:03 am

What does the light look like? I don't think there is a symbol for low oil sender unit. Where about on the dash does the symbol appear and what does it look like? It could be a low oil level warning.
SukySaggi

by Mac » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:43 pm

It's the unit that's sits on the front of the sump
Mac

by Admin » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:06 am

Is it in the 'Check Control' panel?
Admin

What a week........

by SukySaggi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:37 am

I'm pretty sure that its a low oil level warning light. Check your oil level and make sure that its not too low. You may need to do an oil chnage if your oil is too black as this can sometimes mess up the sender unit that sits on the ffront of the sump.
If you are going to go down the oil change route, after draining your oil try removing the sendor unit and cleaning. This may help.
SukySaggi

by ROG » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:20 pm

Try cleaning the plug to the sender, oil tends to get in the plug and cause it to go on, also with the heat/age the wires crack inside the insulation, ive changed mine quite a few times now on the turbo and it was the switch every time, its gone again now sometimes it starts on, sometimes it starts off, i just check the oil every day its not that important as you have the red pressure light as well.
id fix it though, some little t**t cut my oil cooler tube a few months ago, i started up, driving ,overtaking, the orange light came on, id only just fixed it so i knew it worked, i pulled in , as i did the red came on , i stopped the engine, the five or so seconds warning gave me time to pull over and stop as the red light came on, not start pulling in after the red light came on . my engine was ok, if i hadnt fixed the light?
if you want it to go out, it is just an on/off switch so you can try unpluging it, and if that doesnt work just short the pins out on the plug with a bit of wire.
ROG

by Mac » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:16 am

Cheers, I'm gonna take off the sump again cos' I must of pinched the gasket when changing it,still oil on the floor under it, so then I can give it a good clean out and see whats up with the switch,
Ta for the Ideas.
Mac

by skellem » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:00 pm

I have the same problem. My oil light is always on, even though the level is okay. I found that the wire from the sender unit was getting stuck between the exhaust and the engine and the whole lot had shorted out. I haven't fixed it yet, but I'm sure that's 99% of the prob.!!
skellem