Batteries and alternators?

Any electrical issues

by steve3000 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:57 pm

Ok, probably a really simple one this.

Is there any problem having a large battery and small alternator, or the other way round?

Because planning to fit a 120amp alternator to my new turbo, which just has a 12v55Ah RC 90min battery (previously 70amp alternator) - is that going to be ok? or would a bigger battery be necessary for larger alt?

Cheers,

Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ODreams » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:55 am

don't know if this helps, i have a V6 and tried to put a 120amp alternator in and it physically wouldn't fit in the space available (about an inch too big). the mechanic dropped the engine and spent a couple of hours trying to no avail. Eden.
ODreams

by davamb » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:38 am

One question - why? What's wrong with standard? (Ok, that was 2 questions.)
davamb

by steve3000 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:39 pm

Reason is simple - the alt is broken on my new turbo, and I have a spare 120amp one lying around the garage [img]/smile.gif[/img]

ODreams, I've previously fitted a 120amp alt to a V6 - it does fit if it's the Bosch one, but its a real pain, you have to take the driveshaft out completely, remove the alternator/startermotor cowling, and the driveshaft mountint backet, then unbolt the engine mounts on that side of the engine and lift it up about 1-1.5" (i put a jack under the engine)...then dislocate your arms and squeeze them+alternator into the gap...lot of hassel required, took me a whole afternoon to get it in, but it does fit [img]/smile.gif[/img] my (unfinished) guide may be useful, but only covers the smaller 100 and 70 amp alts: <a href="http://www.qthemusic.free-online.co.uk/cally/v6alternator.htm" target="_blank">http://www.qthemusic.free-online.co.uk/cal...6alternator.htm</a>

Cheers,

Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net