FUEL PUMP RELAY

Any electrical issues

by leegte » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:33 pm

:cry: HI PEOPLE.
My other baby has a problem, its a 1990 Astra GTE 8valve which ive put a C20XE into all went well during swap apart from i blew the fuel pump relay when connecting the looms together. Ive changed the relay but cannot get a feed to the round multiplug by the battery which in turn powers the pump via the fusebox etc.The blue wire from the relay and the red and blue wire this turns into via multiplug overheated and melted the plastic coating slightly ive renewed these wires and Ive traced all other wires from relay all seem to be ok.If i put a feed to the pump side of round multiplug red and blue wire by battery the pump works. cheers in anticipation
leegte

by Stupink » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:26 pm

Sorry, wish i could help mate, but I don't really follow what you have done!

You sound like you know the routing of the setup very well, can you not simply test with a multimeter to see where the live is getting to?
you should be able to verify mains + to the relay, and switched + to the relay with voltmeter, then if you put it on ohms with battery disconnected to be sure [img]/wink.gif[/img] between positive of pump and other side of switched relay contact you should have clear with no/little(vaux are crap) resistance?? if you have no circuit you can work back to find out where the last place you have continuety is [img]/smile.gif[/img] I assume you changed the fuse [img]/tongue.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by leegte » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:22 pm

I changed fuse and relays even if they looked ok just to be sure, i must have a short somewhere that i cant see.Looks like its gonna be a day in the garage with wiring diagrams and meter.Dont know much about electrics and am pretty short on time at moment so was being lazy hoping someone else had done the same thing. But i suppose theres only one way to learn !!!
cheers Lee.
leegte