Brake light fault

Any electrical issues

by AndyJo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:17 pm

hi, ive got a problem that i hope someone can help with, ive had my car in for its m.o.t and its failed on account that when the brakes are pressed the brake lights come on but the cars side lights also come on :x , anyone had this problem or any ideas on whats up :?: any help would be greatly recieved

thanks [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
AndyJo

by Leigh » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:26 pm

Sounds like maybe the wires have been pinched together or are touching in some way,
does it also happen the other way around? i.e side lights make the brake lights come on?
I'd think the easiest place to check first would be inside the rear light clusters, at least you can get into those and see the wiring without having to take the floor trims off etc (tho that's not hard).
Anyone been working on the wiring recently? stereo install etc?
I nicked my CD changer cable with one of the screws a few months back when I was putting the passenger side trim panel back on , fortunately it's OK (so far)
Leigh

by AndyJo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:20 pm

I have changed the light clusters over to lexus style lights, but the electrical connections were plug from lights to plug from car, so i dont really understand where a touch could be, could it be in the actuall plu connector ?
AndyJo

by SprintV8 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:55 pm

Make sure you have the Bulbs the correct way round?.
SprintV8

by DaveQ » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:32 pm

Bad earth also causes this problem...
DaveQ

by davamb » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:18 am

Yep, usually a bad earth / lack of an earth connection so that the current from the brake light flows through the other light to get to ground.
davamb