installing heated seat switches

Any electrical issues

by brocklanders25 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:32 pm

hi, having now fitted my new cream leather interior (cheers gran) i've been searching for some switches, rang autovaux and the guy there said all you need is the switch and the module it sits in, is this correct?
what i mean is:will the loom that is tucked away in my console plug directly into the back pf the switches or should there a be a loom connected to the switches which i then connect inside my console
hope thats not too confusing?
just want to make sure i'm getting the right parts! :shock: :shock:
brocklanders25

by dave_dickson » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:53 pm

Yeah, all you need are the switches and their mounting panel, which is part of the traction-control panel on mine.
dave_dickson

by brocklanders25 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:24 pm

ok i've got the switches now, but can someone please help me cos i don't know where to start to look for the wiring!!
i presume that i have to take out the handbrake console, lower console and then what ? roughgly where is the wiring taped up, please tell me i don't have to rip out my dash :evil: :?:
brocklanders25

by jaybv6 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:47 pm

What year is your car? Pre 1995 cars had the switches where the heated rear screen switch is. Post 1995 cars have then under the ashtray where the TC button normally sits on the V6. You should be able to remove the centre console including the traim round the gear gater. Lift out the tape tray (if the tape holder is not fitted lift the rubber insert from the recess). Next price the half moo shaped plastic bit near the handrake. Undo the screw holding the handrake gaitor in and also the screw connecting the rear centre trim to the front part. Lift up the handbrake gaitor and remove the centre trim, disconnecting the FC plu, EW switches as you go.

Next undo the screws either side of the centre console holding the front part on. These are towards the back of the foot wells. Remove the Ashtray to reveal another 2 screws at the back. Lift up the gear gaitor and remove the front part of the centre console. Look around the back for two lots of wires, I will post pics of these tomorrow as I have my trim removed at present whilst I clean my carpets.
jaybv6

by brocklanders25 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:11 pm

thanks jay i look forward to it, its a 1991 so apparently i do have the loom somewhere? it was under the carpet for the seats, i'm looking for two black plugs yeah?
brocklanders25

Calibra-less

by Admin » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jaybv6+--><div class='quotetop'>(jaybv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What year is your car? Pre 1995 cars had the switches where the heated rear screen switch is. Post 1995 cars have then under the ashtray where the TC button normally sits on the V6.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was the case on the Cavalier, with the Calibra they have always been under the ashtray.
Admin

by brocklanders25 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:58 pm

well, took out the handbrake console and then the gear stick came out so i could remove the centre console, after a very akwardly looking around i found the looms taped up with the main loom, i was so pleased! [img]/smile.gif[/img]

:? :? then confused
:x :x then annoyed
sat in the seats are they working ohh yeah this ones getting hot ... i think (trying to convince myself)
the linking cable between the seat back and cushion has been cut by the hinge so i'm gonna have to take the seats out again to try to repair them, DOH! :cry: :x :!:
ALL I WANT IS A WARM TOUCHE!
brocklanders25

by brocklanders25 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:03 pm

i'm well chuffed going from black fabric to this though, its well worth it
brocklanders25

by Monkey » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:38 am

You shouldn't have to take the seat out again but if you do it's only 4 bolts so not a massive job to do. The leather covers unclip at the bottom of the backrest and the rear of the seating part so you should be able to find both ends of the wire to re-connect. Solder them together and use heat shrink over the top for a proper repair. These wires breaking is quite a common problem that a few of us have had to fix at some point.
Monkey

by brocklanders25 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:19 pm

cheers monkey, mission accomplished and a warm touche!
is it me or is the wiring at the hinge a terrible design flaw or what? :evil:
brocklanders25

by Monkey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:50 am

No problem! It is a bit of a weak link but I guess that a lot of manufcturers would do the same without drastically changing the design of the seat and hence increase production cost.
Monkey