Headlamp wire colours?

Any electrical issues

by Phil » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:01 am

Just need someone to confirm some wires in the headlamp unit.
I've noticed that the brown wire hops from bulb to bulb in a series. I'm guessing that this is the earth?

The yellow wire that goes the the back of the dip beam being a switched live??

Can anyone confirm this?

If not, if I get the wires the wrong way round am I at risk of fookin up my HID kit?

Thanks.
Phil

by Shep » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:41 pm

Hey there fellow HID convert

Yes the brown is the earth and the dip beam live is yellow.
Hella or Philips ballasts have built in short circuit protection

There are two ways of doin this. If you are gonna use a relay then make up a loom and use a male spade connector plugged in to one of the dip beam lives (yellow) to trigger the relay. This is the best way as the high current needed on start up will fatigue the relay and not your loom and switch gear.

I originally did not have a relay and I just earthed out the ballasts to the car body and ran the live from each ballast to the female spade dip beam live wire of each light. When I fired it up for the first time both lights flashed then cut out. I had to replace the 10a fuses with 15a

whichever way you choose to wire it I think that its important to keep the car loom standard so that you can replace the hid with halogen should one of the capsules fail while you are driving.

I mounted the off side ballast to the side of the airbox. The nearside one I placed in a watertight box next to the battery.

Shep
Shep

by Phil » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:18 am

Hey Shep,
Thanks for that mate.
It's all wired up now. Just that it was raining last night so didn't fit it all to the car.

It's a HID kit I'm fitting. It mensions to replace the fuse with a 20A one.

The bulbs run to the ballasts. The ballasts then run back to the headlamp power feeds. No relays, is that right?

Like you say, I've left it so that I can put it back to normal if ever necessary.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil

locked topic in exterior

by Shep » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:16 pm

Yes mate it will probably be fine like that. However if you ever experience problems with the lights on start up it would be worth using a spotlamp relay wiring harness to take the strain off of your cally wiring.

I doubt if you will have any problems without a relay. Also now that I have fitted a relay I have the "bulb out" warning light on all the time.

Lets see some pics when you are done

Shep
Shep