Possible Alternator Issue.... V6...

Any electrical issues

by Smurf » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:56 am

Hi all,

Well it looks like I'm another one to be bitten by the dodgy alternator problems.... please could you let me know what you think of the following:

Here are the symptomns:

Before starting car, voltmeter in dash reads 10 or 11 volts, so a bit low.
Car starts perfectly, but rear heated screen won't work and lights (interior and exterior) are all dimmer than usual
Rev engine to 3000rpm and allow to drop back to idle and voltmeter rises straight away to 13 or 14 volts, rear heated screen works, and all lights are at normal brightness.
Car is then fine for the remainder of the journey.

I went to a local parts place this morning and he put a multimeter over the battery. Before revving to 3000rpm the reading was almost non-existent... but when it went above 3000rpm it was erratic and still nowhere near as high as it should have been.

He said he thinks the battery is ok but it's the alternator that looks like it's had it [img]/sad.gif[/img] He's quoted me £142 + VAT for a brand new one.

From looking through the history that I got with the car the alternator was replaced by a main dealer about three years ago. Is it common for them to go so quickly?

Thanks for any info. If you also know of anywhere cheaper than the above please let me know.
Smurf

www.aspro.co.uk

by RobbieV » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:06 pm

Hi, This is my second V6 in three years and never had a problem with alternators (touch wood) so sorry i dont have any info for you but i do know to change the alternator is a b***h of a job if you DIY there`s a guy called Steve3000 with an excellent guide to changing a V6 alternator. The only other thing i can think of is ..........................Manfred [img]/smile.gif[/img] [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers Rob
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Smurf » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RobbieV+--><div class='quotetop'>(RobbieV)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi, This is my second V6 in three years and never had a problem with alternators (touch wood) so sorry i dont have any info for you but i do know to change the alternator is a b***h of a job if you DIY there`s a guy called Steve3000 with an excellent guide to changing a V6 alternator. The only other thing i can think of is ..........................Manfred [img]/smile.gif[/img] [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers Rob<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Robbie [img]/smile.gif[/img]

I've seen Steve3000's guide and it is very good indeed, so I'll have to follow that when I get round to doing it!
Smurf

Its a beautiful day

by peter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:48 pm

I would get your battery tested to see if its holding a charge first. Sticking a multimeter over it wont tell you if it has a knackard cell.

Cheers

Pete
peter

oil pressure

by Smurf » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-peter+--><div class='quotetop'>(peter)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I would get your battery tested to see if its holding a charge first. Sticking a multimeter over it wont tell you if it has a knackard cell.

Cheers

Pete<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Pete - I'll look into it.
Smurf

by Kieran_Burns » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:11 pm

Also, i fI remember rightly - there is an alternator fan that cuts in to keep it cool - if this has gone then the Alternator will fail more rapidly, so it could be worth your while checking that THIS is working correctly as well.
Kieran_Burns

by peter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:22 pm

No worries mate. Just take it down to Kwikfit and they will test it for you.

cheers

Pete
peter

by Smurf » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Kieran_Burns+--><div class='quotetop'>(Kieran_Burns)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Also, i fI remember rightly - there is an alternator fan that cuts in to keep it cool - if this has gone then the Alternator will fail more rapidly, so it could be worth your while checking that THIS is working correctly as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Kieran. I'll check that out as well.
Smurf

Re: Engine won't idle. - Sat around for nearly 4 months!

by jaybv6 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:17 pm

it's you battery. Replace this first as it will only cost you £30 (see me for that :wink: ). Then fault find the rest. I had the same issue but now I have the new "Porsche" battery all is ok.
jaybv6

by Smurf » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:34 pm

Problem solved! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

It turned out to be the alternator bulb in the dash had blown... This bulb is part of the alternator circuitry and it's what lets the alternator know to kick in when it goes out. Because mine wasn't coming on at all, the alternator wasn't kicking in until a certain threshold was reached (in my case - 3000rpm).

Got a replacement bulb this morning and all is now fine! No more revving to 3000rpm to get stuff working, and the best bit is it only cost me 80p! [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Smurf

by RobbieV » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:37 pm

An 80p fix :shock: Must remember that one for the future :wink: [img]/smile.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MarkV6 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:48 am

I have to rev mine to 3k as well to make it charge, and guess what, no alternator light on the dash!!!

Will see if I can swop over the brake pad warning light to the alternator, bit skint at the moment :roll: [img]/sad.gif[/img]
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member