oil pressure

Any electrical issues

by Tattooman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:52 pm

on my oil/voltage gauges, when ignition is switched on the oil pressure needle shoots all the way over to the right hand side and stays there.do i need a new oil pressure warning switch or is it something else at fault?
Tattooman

by vauxhallman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:13 pm

Common fault this mate ! Although it could be a fault with either the gauge or the sender, the most likely cause is that it has either got a bad connection or lost its connection. Check the sender unit contacts and clean them up see if that makes any difference. It sounds like you have lost the signal from it.
vauxhallman

by Tattooman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:25 pm

where are the connections located mate?
Tattooman

by vauxhallman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:06 pm

I think it depends which engine you have. On my LET they are at the back of the block next to the oil pump. Not sure about others, but ont he turbo they have to be accessed from underneath.
vauxhallman

don't listen to them

by Tattooman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:20 pm

i have an ecotec, i can't seem to find exactly what i'm looking for, need a diagram [img]/sad.gif[/img]
Tattooman

by peter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:44 pm

OK - you know where your oil filter is ? well that is attached to your oil pump. Connection should be on the pump.

Cheers

Pete
peter

by Tattooman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:32 pm

oil filter is bottom left of engine bay, behind right front wheel?had a look today but couldn't see connections, what exactly do they look like? the gauge has only just gone like this since i checked the oil level, and it was barely registering on the dipstick, coincidence?
Tattooman

by peter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:48 pm

where is the oil pressure switch thing under the bonnet

1) jack up the offside of car
2) remove road wheel
3) locate the oil filter
4) behind the oil filter is the oil pressure sender unit

nicked this from a post on the MIG site. Cant find a pic - sorry.

Pete
peter

cool photoshop pics

by Tattooman » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:18 pm

cleaned earth connection, still the same. maybe the sender unit or the gauge itself is faulty?
Tattooman

by Topbuzz » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:24 pm

> cleaned earth connection,

Which connector did you find?
anyway, on the bac of the duel oil pressure sender there are 2 connectors. One is a small screw post stub, wire connected via a eyelet. Make sure the screw down is secure.

2nd wire is a 1-pin connecotr, typically tucked up out the way by the alternaotr of the bottom of the inlet manifod.
Most access is best from direrectly under the car, so get those axle stands out.

If all these connections have been delte with and you still get the problem, next is to remove the duel dial display. Remove this and look at the back, the multiplug should still be in postion.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the gauge itself.
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net