Sunroof tempermental niggle..

Any electrical issues

by Leigh » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:49 am

Not really 'electrical' but couldn't see a more relevant section..

After being unused for many many months (due to the wonderful british weather), I finallly open the sunroof again a few weeks ago, but when I went to close it , one side (passenger/left side) wouldn't come down on the tilt cycle. After repeatedly opening and closing it a few times it closed ok, and I couldn't see anything obviously making it stick.

I tried it again this morning before leaving for work (nice crisp sunny winter morning and all that..), and has same problem, took about 6 or 7 goes to get it to close (and it doesn't look quite flush from the outside, only a mm or so, but I can see the difference)
I can see the little arm moving into the 'holder' that then slides along and down

Do you think I could be lucky and it's just lack of use and perhaps needs oiling, and if so, any particular type of oil? Obviously I don't want stuff dribbling in to the interior! (there is now a little oil mark on the headlining (cream!!) where I touched the runner the first time it stopped and caught it..arrgghh)

I know from past posts that the sunroof is/can be a complete git, so I'm hoping that this is just lack of usage...
Leigh

by peter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:12 pm

I would grease it rather than oil it.

Good luck.

Pete
peter

by Leigh » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-peter+--><div class='quotetop'>(peter)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I would grease it rather than oil it.

Good luck.

Pete<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's probably what my brain meant, but it doesn't wake up for a few hours yet..

[img]/smile.gif[/img]

Any ideas what to ask for ? "Excuse me mr shopkeeper , have you got any calibra sunroof runner grease please".....
Leigh

by BenW » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:13 pm

I had this problem last summer, except worse as it suddenly seized completely one evening, but only on one side as you say. No amount of trying would free it - even fists when I got in a temper about it! :oops:

I didn't fancy the hassle so booked it into a local garage, who charged me £90 to sort what turned out to be bent linkages.
BenW

by CHARLIE » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:30 pm

yea ive had the same problem + still have kinda. it closes slowly but closes bent, it started at the end of last summer. ive had the roof lining off couldnt see any major problems with the motor except one gear was looking abit worn but thats not gona do anything too drastic. i put some wd40 along the track on each side, that helped but its still very tempremental + im too scared to risk opening it incase it doesnt shut! quite often it will shut slowly but not completely shut on one side, its almost as if its become out of line on the teeth on the track. i dont realy wana take it to a garage coz i know il be a couple of hundred squid lighter at the end of it!!
CHARLIE

by peter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:32 pm

Watcha Charlie,

Mine did exactly the same as yours and eventually it stuck open. Couldnt get it to close, and ended up bashing the F*** out of it and breaking a bit of the track :cry:

Mines a later twin cog motor which are hard to come by as well. :evil:

I bought a sunroof of whatshisname in wales but it turned out to be a single cog one - still got it if anyone wants to buy it ! £40 - bargain

Cheers

Pete
peter

by Leigh » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:49 pm

Mine will be twin cog as well I think (not sure where to look to check... can you see without removing parts?),. as it's a 1996 N reg.

Useless fact: when I removed the dash trim the other weekend to remove my radio (long story..) there is a sticker under the dash dated "13 July 1995"

My birthday is ... 13th July [img]/smile.gif[/img]

See, we were fated to be together!!!!

Hey Charlie, have you had your respray then? Just seen your sig.

Any pics?
Leigh

by CHARLIE » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:11 am

its in the process of being done at the moment, it shouldnt be too much longer. il have a new avatar when its done.
CHARLIE