Strut Braces

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by geo73 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:19 am

What do you all think of them? and how do they work? Are they worth it? and any side effects, thanks

Adam
geo73

by jaybv6 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:02 am

On a Calibra a front strutbrace would be of little use, just cosmetic more than anything. On the rear of the car it would help to improve the rigidity of the car but you will only really notice the difference if you push your car to the limit. The V6 has a lower rear strut brace as standard, it's part of the chassis. All Calibras have anti roll bars that act as a kind of lower strutbrace at the front of the car.

There are side effects though. Your insurance company does not like them for this very reason. Fitting a strut brace would aid in writing your car off if you had a side impact. The reason for this is that if somone hits your car from the side the strut brace will transfer that energy to the opposite side of the car damaging both sides, if not bending the whole chassis on heavy impacts. Without a strut brace only the side hit would be damaged. Smaller impact would have the same effect and cause more damage than if you did not have one fitted. That's why insurance companies load up a nice premium for having one fitted.

If you want to take your car on the track, go for it. If not then I would leave them alone, unless you want one for show.
jaybv6

by leegsi » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:30 pm

On my Cavalier gsi (Same floor pan as the cally) fitting a front strut brace has made a difference when changing directions quick (Ie coing of a roundabout or a twisty road).

It ties the 2 strut tops together helping keep the strut at the right angle.

Noone I know who has fitted one HASN'T noticed a difference in the handling
leegsi

by ian_n » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:38 pm

Im having a front strut brace fitted on Thursday and will post my opinion on here.
ian_n

by Phantom » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:27 am

I will have to say that since fitting mine the handling has improved and also the tyre wear is more even now on the front, i'm not losing the inside edges of the tyre as quickly as I used to
Phantom