Power steering question on Turbo

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Power steering question on Turbo

by gremlin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:06 pm

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->I shall set the scene before I ask anything. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->A short while ago my accumulator valve went and I purchased a reconditioned unit with a new bulb from VTS and had it fitted by my local backstreet garage who I know have dealt with these cars on a number of times before. After getting the car back I noticed that I get quite a lot of power steering pump noise as if I have hit the end of my travel but it happened all the time. I decided this was because they hadn’t bled the system properly so last weekend I did just that. Car up on axle stands and did as it said in the instructions from cav16 web site.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->The noise is much quieter and less often but when you turn the wheel you do still get the power steering noise quietly in the background. Is this normal will it always do it? I have never noticed it before but I have never listened out for it before so don’t know.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->Is it worth bleeding again or could there be something still wrong with the system?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
gremlin

by Stupink » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:13 pm

Bleed it again, double check level, check belt tension.. then see how you go..
been such a while since i've driven it, but i dont recall any noise other than full lock..
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by gremlin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:11 pm

When bleeding the power steering the first thing to do on cav16.co.uk instructions is

551. Switch on the ignition and pump brake pedal at least 25 times or until any 'whooshing' in the accumulator stops. Switch off ignition and remove fuse 19.

I have just checked through my vx workshop guide and they miss out the first 25 pushes of the brake peddle and move straight on to removing fuse 19. Is the first 25 pedal pumps necessary? They go on to be the same even to pump the pedal 25 times later to prime.

I tried using the cav16 guide and the level was up and down and all over the place when you pump the pedal it over flows then if you stop the seering mid travel it over flows yet at either end it goes back down and you have to fill it back up again and was very difficult to get the level really accurate! Is it just me or is this a pain in the arse and do i need those first 25 pedal presses b4 i remove fuse 19?
gremlin

by Stupink » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:34 pm

Pas reserviour filled to the correct level will never overflow, if you keep topping it up after its gone down its no wonder it keeps overflowing.

follow cav16 instructions and make sure you only top up when they say to, and only to the level on the cap dipstick [img]/smile.gif[/img]

If its overflowing still, or acting funny, sounds like maybe air in the system still.. the level is only ever topped up at its maximum state, IE when the accumulator is fully discharged, so it should never be able to overflow.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by gremlin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:15 pm

Thanks for your help so far stupink. When i pressed the brake peddle until the wooshes stopped the fluid over flowed then when i turned the steering to lock the fluid would disappear so i topped it up but as you turn it back to the centre it over flows again then off to the other stop it goes again then back to the centre up it comes. I take it i should not top it up when you turn to full lock only when it says in the instructions on cav16?

I HAVE to do the initial 25 pedal presses until the wooshes have gone then to empty the accumulator?
gremlin

by Stupink » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:45 am

Follow Cav16 exactly.. It WORKS.. used it myself, can't comment on other techniques.. altho it sounds similar anyway.. you might find you have to do it a few times before it fully bleeds.. but yes, only top up when it says..
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net