Removing locking wheel bolts

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by ROG » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:50 pm

Does anyone know of either a way of removing locking wheel bolts or where i can take my car to have them removed in Liverpool, i used the free set that came with my wheels and now the key has rounded off and i cant take them off!
the wheel bolts are the type with a hardend steel collar, so you cant hammer a socket on.
ROG

by philangel » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:55 pm

your local quick fit or tyre place should be able to do it
philangel

by Fraz » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:10 am

get a cold chisel and take the outer ring off, then hammer a tight fitting socket on , should come off , had to do this myself last year as well
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SteveU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:49 pm

As Fraz said, works a treat (don't be shy with the hammer though)
SteveU

by Dawson16v » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:54 pm

Yeah ditto what they say.. took mine to a kwik fit or somewhere like that .. they did it for free and took them about 5 mins max!!
Dawson16v

by jaybv6 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:02 pm

Take the collar off, and buy some locking wheel nut removers. Cost about £20. I had to to take mine off by drilling in the end.
jaybv6

by Dawson16v » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jaybv6+--><div class='quotetop'>(jaybv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->buy some locking wheel nut removers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are these the things that 'thread' the nut in reverse, allowing you to unscrew the nut?

If it is they only work on certain locking nuts.. even the bloke in the shop i went to adviced me against them!!
Dawson16v

by SteveU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:06 pm

Chisel, deep 1/2" 17mm socket, crack/knuckle bar and an effing big 'ammer is all ya need (and a bit of patience).
SteveU

by ROG » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 pm

Big hammer and chisel it is then, ive taken them off on my cav before, but they had no collar. i just hammered the socket on.
ROG

C20XE - Possible Porous Head - Help Please, Gutted

by GAZA62 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:53 pm

Had the same prob had to chisel of the colar use a smaller socket and an impact wrench with a big hammer mind your wheels though.
I it was not for bad luck i'd have no luck at all
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:30 pm

It took about 1/2 hour, mainly for the 1st one, the rest were quite easy.now i can change my oil, rotate tyres etc and then get someone to do the clutch (probably vts), the new wheel locks have a number to buy a spare key from germany so if the key gives up i can get a new one.
ROG

by sparky2004 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:20 pm

Rog,
How are ya mate, finally another member in Liverpool. I no a local garage that would have got your wheels off but your sorted now so if there is anything else i can help you with let me no. I no a few mechanics, a couple are mobile too so if you need your clutch doing at home drop me a line and i,ll see what i can do for ya mate. We,ll have to arrange a meet when you get your car sorted

Cheers Fella.
sparky2004

by ROG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:21 pm

sparky2004, The clutch is on a turbo, i was going to do it myself but after changing a gearbox on a 8v last week im not going to do this one, not that its difficult it just takes too long! being 4x4 theres even less room and many more bits!, everybody says to get it done by vts who ive asked. All the gerbox places charge the same or more, vts can arrange to pick it up and fix it and get it brought back!., were abouts in liverpool are you.
ROG

by sparky2004 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:53 pm

Rog,

Im,originally from Wavertree but now living in Rainhill, out in the sticks mate, although i spend i do spend most weekends around the city centre.
What about you mate, which part of the Pool are you in?
sparky2004

by ROG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:46 pm

Sparky2004, im by Sefton Park, Toxteth, what a place to park my callys!
ROG

Next