Steering Noise & Pulling

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Steering Noise & Pulling

by johnny_adidas » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:38 am

Im really getting ******* off with my cally now, one thing after another. ok had a squeaking noise coming from one of the belts 2 weeks ago. this went away. from posts i think i get that this could have been caused by a worn belt or PAS pump about to go. I took out my airbox and hose etc last night as i am going to change the belt.
I have found pinky/red oil on top of my gear box.
now my steering has started pulling to the left and at the weekend i got a grinding/click click noise which is very apparent when turning at low speeds.
When on full lock i sometimes get a bang. This has always happened though.
Can this be caused by hitting potholes? Ive met a lot lately.
What parts need to be changed?
Can these be done yourself? If not how much?
Im guessing it is a bearing or CV joint and possibly steering needs alignment?im hoping its not a steering rack.
I have to change my tyres in the next few weeks however i will be buying them from the net and getting someone to change the existing. should i wait til then and see if they can diagnose the problem (for free) as they will almost def hear the noise?
one other thing. the car has been standing for about a week or two and the brake discs have rusted. could this cause it either as i noticed a section in the haynes manual about rusted brakes cauing noise.

Phew!!! that took a lot outa me.

By the way im driving a 93 redtop 16V with (& i know before anyone says thats the start of my probs, but they were on when i bought) 18s.
johnny_adidas

by Dan Willis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:48 am

Okay dokey.

If you want to replace your powersteering pump, it isn't that hard. The belt on yours runs around that and the alternator so you can do the belt too. A few of the unions may not want to play but you could do it in a couple of hours - if it's on it's way out.

CV joints are a pain, but again, doable yourself. Just a messy job. The haynes can talk you through these jobs easily.

Disc brakes will rust - that's normal. Leave mine out in the rain with the big wheels and they rust in minutes (or they did before the biguns). [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by johnny_adidas » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks willisit,

by the sounds then i was right in thinkin it was the joints that are making the noise?
Im in no rush getting the car back on the road anyway as it will be off til its mot at end of june which gives me loads of time to get it sorted & right
johnny_adidas

by Dan Willis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:03 am

I'd check everything on the steering and suspension but it sounds like you have play in the ball joints/cv joints. Impossible to guess really without having a good look!
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by johnny_adidas » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:07 am

ok thanks
johnny_adidas

by bodgetastic » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:39 pm

Have you checked the level of your PAS fluid out of interested ?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by jayl645 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:30 pm

the pink stuff i would say is pas fluid dripping on your gear box,
and i would say if u hear a clicking sound when turning hard at low speed im 99% sure its your cv joint,maybe your rubber gaiter has split and its lacking grease,if it is split u might get away with just a new gaiter and realy pack it out with grease,
i think the pulling to the left is a very common problem with the calibra ive heard it loads of times on hear and even mine does it!!,
hope this helps jay
jayl645

by johnny_adidas » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:42 pm

thanks guys will check/try everything you've suggested and post an update
johnny_adidas

by fatnic » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:56 pm

I've got a similar problem.

When on full lock it sounds like the front o/s wheel is rubbing agains something. At first I thought they might just be rubbing against the arch, however it makes the noise even when it's stationary!!!

Could a belt be rubbing agains it on full lock? It can't be good if it is!

Cheers
fatnic

by wilko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:53 pm

to see if it is the cv joins go into a car park put the car into full lock & listen out for a clicking coming from the wheels if it clicks the cv joints are definately goosed if the cv boots have split & its been running dry it might be worth changing the joins anyway if your doing it yourself as its a very very messy job & theres nothing worse than putting a new boot on & packing it with grease to find it hasnt cured the clicking & to have to do the whole messy job all over again to fix it a cabaged cv joint wont fail an mot though its just if the boots are split thats a fail
wilko