PAS Leak

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

PAS Leak

by bodgetastic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:50 pm

My steering rack is leaking PAS fluid so before I spend £800 on a new rack and pump, has anyone tried any of the Power steering stop leak fluids such as the Wynn's one? I was also told their is a very good american one on the market? Got to be worth a try for a few pounds?

Also, would mixing this with the PAS fluid possibly cause any problems to the 4x4 system?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Rusty_CallyT » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:52 pm

it plugs leaks... it might block the accumulator pressure switch or foul the solonoid i spose
Rusty_CallyT

by steve3000 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bodgetastic+--><div class='quotetop'>(bodgetastic)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My steering rack is leaking PAS fluid so before I spend £800 on a new rack and pump, has anyone tried any of the Power steering stop leak fluids such as the Wynn's one? I was also told their is a very good american one on the market? Got to be worth a try for a few pounds?

Also, would mixing this with the PAS fluid possibly cause any problems to the 4x4 system?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends on how this stuff works, but overall, I'd be worried about using it with the 4x4 system - accumulator bulb/solenoid switch/pressure switch particularly, as they get high-pressure PAS fluid running through them. Most 'normal' cars won't have anything this complex in their PAS system and I guess the narrow channels in the accumulator block could be easily blocked/damaged.

Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:26 pm

The stuff I have bascially says it stops and prevents oil leaks and revitalises rubber seals and "o" rings.

Think I'll give them a call and see what they say?

Anyone else used it?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Sun May 01, 2005 2:47 pm

Is it possible to disconnect the accumulator temporality to avoid any possible damage?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Rusty_CallyT » Sun May 01, 2005 6:30 pm

yes you can bypass the accumulator, details on cav16 iirc
Rusty_CallyT

by bodgetastic » Sun May 01, 2005 10:08 pm

Nice one, will have a look!
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Chavtastic » Sun May 08, 2005 10:28 am

STP's PAS fluid is really good. It's not an additive but a replacement fluid that works a treat on all the car's I've used.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Sun May 08, 2005 12:41 pm

most pas leak stopper formulations contain chemicals that soften and swell rubber seals, quite often its brake fluid, brake fluid softens and swells things so well you can take paint off with it! , it will probably will swell the seals in the tx box and accumulator. im all for these magic fix solutions in bottles, i make some of them but i wouldnt stick snything in the tx box that wasnt supposed to be there, the company may say its ok , they may not but if you use it then the tx box blows up whos going to prove the box wasnt stuffed anyway?
ROG

by bodgetastic » Thu May 12, 2005 2:14 pm

Well its gone in ! Wynns said it should be fine, but like you said Rog, im sure they wouldnt be to forthcoming in paying the bill it the tx box went !!

I am not loosing nearly as much fluid as I was, but still have a leak. Think I will try to do a couple of flushes before I decide to change the rack though.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Mon May 23, 2005 9:09 pm

Done a couple of flushes and it hasn't sorted the leak so need to replace the rack. I have been told not to go for the ZF one so which do I go for ? anyone have a part number that will fit a late turbo ?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator