need advice on redtop brakes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

need advice on redtop brakes

by wilza0 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:46 pm

if anybody else has this engine do you find the brakes crap i have upgraded the front discs and pads to black dimond drilled and grooved there is a little difference, but i still feel like im "sliding on a bannana skin" would it be worth upgading to the turbo or v6 discs and caliperes please guys i need the advice thanks will
wilza0

by Fraz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:39 pm

have black diamond brakes myself though never had the groved again as hated the damn feel when braking hard

what pada are you using? also have you replaced your rear pads
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by wilza0 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:52 pm

black diamond pads and discs combi on front standard gm discs and pads on back just still doesnt feel right i drive cars at work all day and they are much better very sharp mine feel like im gona hit somthing had them all checked out and was told nothing wrong but i dont like them
wilza0

by wilza0 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:17 pm

new pads on back and new discs gm parts ,combi discs and pads black diamond on front had everthing checked out but i still think they aint right. i just feel like im gonna hit sombody in front will it make a difference upgrading to say v6 or the turbo discs and calipers just want to feel safe
wilza0

by MarkV6 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:28 am

Upgrading to the V6/Turbo front disc setup should increase your stopping power as the discs are bigger, but if you have already spent out on upgrading your current setup it would be money wasted IMO.

Driving like a loon I can get fade on my sixer's brakes after a period of time.

If you want SERIOUS stopping power then the only way to go is a 'big disc conversion kit' usually £1200+ but we are then talking 4 or 6 pot calipers 320mm (or bigger) discs. I had a kit on my previous cally (6 pots 330mm discs redstuff pads) and it stopped so hard the seatbelt hurt!!!

A note on redstuff pads, I found that they needed a bit of heat in them to be effective. I was going to swop to greenstuff but fate decided otherwise [img]/sad.gif[/img]

One last question, are/have you let the pads and discs bed in for a few hundred miles before using them hard?
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Dan Willis » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:54 am

Change your brake lines for braided ones - it'll make a BIG difference.
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by wilza0 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:33 pm

i travel from kendal (lake district) to banbury (oxfordshire) to pick up my little girl for 200mile 1 way so i would have thought they are well beded in by now sounds good though v6 calipers and discs would they fit easily or would i need to mod some stuff and thanks for the reply willist about the braded lines do these really make any differnce
wilza0