Jurkin break pedal

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Jurkin break pedal

by Mac » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:05 pm

Hello all, Just back after 8 weeks away, Done all basic car checks (fluids, lights ect.)
( had no problems before I left.)
Problem is my ABS light is flickin on and off as you push the brake pedal, also when you push the pedal it goes solid stops then moves forward again, does this twice before stopping frim without moving. It feels like it is being caught on something then releasing then caught then released then firm.....

Paper clip says front abs ring is goosed ( new cv needed here i think).
Would this cause the problem with my pedal?
Anyone had this or know whats going on?

Got a 400 mile round trip planned on tues and need this fixed asap.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mac.
Mac

by Dan Willis » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 pm

It sounds exactly the problem to me!

Sort the ring (or at least check and clean) and it'll probably be fine. Check the sensor first and the wiring.
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mac » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:49 pm

Cheers, The ring sections have corroded away and started to crumble when i was cleaning.......

The pedal jurks even when you are stationary......... so could it still be the rings fault mate??
Mac

by Dan Willis » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:53 pm

If the ABS is having a fit I can certainly see it. I'm a bit surprised it doesn't just cut out (leaving you ABSless).
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mac » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:59 pm

I didn't want to drive it to far with the pedal jurkin like it does but the brakes still work,
the light just comes on and stays on till you stop then it flickers when I press the pedal.
Quick one aswell their is a whooshing sound when I apply the brake pedal, is it normal??
Mac

by Robert_Dale » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:32 pm

Mac, If you open the ABS unit in the engine and pull the relays out you will disable the ABS!!

I did this on my old audi which i'm certain is the same abs system, this does not affect your normal braking just leaves you absless as dan said lol

Good to see your still alive mate [img]/wink.gif[/img]
Robert_Dale

by Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:44 am

Got second hand driveshaft(from my old silver one) Gonna just replace the lot today....... Still worried about the whooshing sound? any Ideas?

Rob: A few close calls with Snakes and Scorpions and the odd massive spider( about the size of my hand) Nearly drove my truck into a tree just took out the wing mirror, It was a bit hard to control when you are bouncing of the roofs interior at 35mph through the Jungle ( ye ha)......
Mac

by MarkV6 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mac+--><div class='quotetop'>(Mac)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Still worried about the whooshing sound? any Ideas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like normal servo operation to me. The sound comes from behind the instrument cluster in line with the brake pedal, yes??

If so it's just the servo working and you shouldn't worry about it.
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by wilko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:00 pm

to check if the servos working pump the brake pedal without the engine running you should get a hard firm pedal then keep your foot firmly on the pedal then start the engine if the pedal goes down the servos fine as with your abs problem i had the same problem my o/s/r abs ring has cracked leaving a gap causing the abs light to stay on i just stuck my hand up behind the fusebox & took the bulb out & my brakings been fine since,
wilko

by Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Cheers. Have not managed to change CV joint yet, But took out the abs fuse the jurkin has stopped, but the light stays on.
Wait till I get back to fix it.
Mac

by wilko » Sun May 01, 2005 12:19 am

it will do mate because youve taken the fuse out its caused a break in the circuit there for it detects a fault which is why the light stays on the only way round it is a)get the problem fixed within the abs system or b)remove the bulb from the dash just be carefull at mot time as no abs warning light is a fail the same as if it stays on the light must come on when you start the engine then after 5 seconds go out personally as long as the brakes stop you i dont see why a fauly abs system is a fail my cavalier didnt have abs yet that still passed an mot just hope the tester doesnt notice youve no bulb in ive got away with it twice
wilko