cv joints on turbo

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

cv joints on turbo

by ROG » Fri May 27, 2005 10:23 pm

on the cally turbo, 2 years ago, the drivers side boot split and the joint was clicking, i filled it up with grease and its ok, last week the passenger side alloy was covered in grease, and clicking like mad, when i hold the drive shaft i can move the wheel about 20 degrees before the driveshaft moves, i take it that this is the cv joint stuffed, the drivers side feels ok but now clicks like mad whan turning but i can feel no play

should i do both sides, the play only seems to be in the outer joint, do i just replace the outer ones?

what do i need to know to buy them, are there different types for the turbo etc, number of abs teeth, different years or are they all the same ?

will they be cheaper from tradeclub or autovaux or are the local motorfactors likely to stock them, and about how much are they?
ROG

by Stupink » Fri May 27, 2005 10:42 pm

That doesnt sound right, but im lazy so i say repack it and try it lol.. unless the boot has been cut by one of the bearings or stray metal it seems strange the boot would come off and release the grease at the same time the joint went, they're funny little buggers, theres allways horizontal play, but i dont think i've ever seen one with rotational play, that said i dont see how there can be any play like that in them and it still work. (unless its not and your driving the rear wheels only, try tripping your 4x4 out and see if you go anywhere lol.

if you need to replace you can get away with just changing the one slack joint tho, no need to change the other 3, they could go on for years yet.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 pm

the boot hasnt actualy come off , its got a great tear accross it, not the usual split that you get on the line of the bellows, this sort of tears the other way in line with the driveshaft
ive just been to the shop at the end of the road , it fired something out from down below like a stone, but i was only doing 20mph this hit the bottom of the car with a nice twang.... im thinking that bits of the joint are coming out now.....
the car now goes clickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk from the passenger side wheel, im guessing now that it might not be driving from the front passenger side!, i put the jack under it and i can now turn the wheel with driveshaft not moving....
ROG

by Stupink » Sat May 28, 2005 9:36 am

well its officially totally fubar.. I'd reccomend not driving the car now then, you actually have a rear wheel drive at the moment!!! if you loose one front wheel the other won't be able to put any power down either because of the diff.. so you're running on the transferr box only.. pull the fuse and the car wont move at all.
Mr viscous coupling won't be likeing it.

If you've never done a CVJ before then I'd reccomend buying a tin of thinners or solvent(cough petrol cough) to wash out the old one so that you can see what you're doing to find the circlip. that said, i'm suspecting it will fall apart soon as you touch it, you'll have lost all the bearings by now(what went poooionnnnng onto your car) and you'll just be left with the inner section stuck on the shaft and a loose outer section.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mel » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:31 am

To answer your tradeclub question, exchange driveshafts are about 85 squid. One side is cheaper than the other.
If the CV joint is well worn you will get some rotational play, the amount you have suggests the spline within the shaft or CV joint is damaged and the joint is clicking round when driving.
I had this prob bout 3 years ago. Changed both shafts so I wouldnt have to worry again.
Mel

by ROG » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:16 pm

it had `spin the wheel round` rotational play the drive shaft side had split, it one as a temp fix from a scrapyard as no shops localy had a cv joint in, the joint had nothing inside it just a few small lumps of metal and a ball bearing, it was hell to take it off the other side big hammer time....it took some shifting.
ROG