Best non-vaux replacement for SE5's front shock's & spring

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Best non-vaux replacement for SE5's front shock's & spring

by Leigh » Tue May 31, 2005 4:49 pm

:-(
MOT failed on front shocks, "excessive lift N/S & O/S front shockabsorbers"
:-(

Need to try and find the best non-vaux replacements, for the shocks and/or springs, defo gonna need shocks think (garage were typically vague). I've supected I might need new shocks for a while tho, N/S front doesn't seem to have much movement in it when depressing the wing, compared to the O/S front.

The SE5's had/has uprated shocks with 25mm lowered springs.
Phoned local vaux place, and stressed over and over again about the Irmscher bits, he gave me the following part no's & prices..

Shocks:
£56 + VAT each (at trade prices)

Springs:
£89.50 /set

But then he said it was only the shocks that are different... :confused:
Lowering shocks??
!!!!!

Any suggestions folks? I need to get it sorted A.S.A.P to get it retaxed (meant to get it done last week but other stuff had to take priority).
I want to keep the same 25mm drop, and ride, so just really looking for closest match I can get, without spending a fortune, as she's only a baby 8V (still love her tho :-) )

Also, could someone double check those part numbers on EPC cos I can't check it right now.

thanks,
Leigh

EDIT:
Spoke to Autovaux,
they confirmed the shocks number is right for the Irmscher parts, they can do 'em for £40.50 +VAT, but might take a few days to get hold of.

and they said the springs number is showing as standard springs..arrggh
but they're trying to find out correct spring info.
gotta love 'em :-)

So alternatives for 25mm springs guys?
Leigh

by Leigh » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:53 pm

W@nker MOT garage,
I ddint go to my normal place on tuesday as I'd managed to get my dates mixed up and needed it done that day,
however, managed to go to my usual garage today and they said "he's taking the p**s"
They put it through again and it passed no problem (well, no problem apart from costing me another £30).
Much as I'd love to have appealed against the earlier one, I'm told it can take many weeks, during which I'd be illegal and I just can't do without the car.
Just glad to have her all nice and legal again!
Leigh