Clunking and clinking sound from the front right

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Clunking and clinking sound from the front right

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:17 pm

Hi guys,

Well, my cali problems are persisting at a scary rate now.

I've got a worrying clunking and clinking sound coming from the front right of the car. Sounds like it could be the wheel/suspension area as it only happens when going over bumps.

Any ideas?
ZeroRisk

by ROG » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:20 pm

could be, anti roll bar to wishbone link, wishbone rubber bushes or cv joint
ROG

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:31 pm

Are these fairly easy to spot and sort out mate?

Are any of them costly as I'm skint now after getting the new lump installed which is also causing me problems... [img]/sad.gif[/img]
ZeroRisk

by BenW » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:36 pm

If it's the ARB link, I paid £20 + pennies for one this morning from a Vauxhall dealer. There are two types, and as yours is a '94 car, I'd guess yours will be the earlier push-on type. They are a right git to change apparently...but I've never done it as mine are the later bolt-on type.

Anyhow! To see if that's the problem, take a look and see if the roll bar is physically connected to the lower arm - if not, it needs a new link. A very common failure.
BenW

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:09 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info Ben, I'll try and have a look tonight if I get home and it's still light....

If not, I'll have a go over the weekend. Is it potentially dangerous driving like this as I have a lot of motorway driving to do this weekend?
ZeroRisk

by BenW » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:15 pm

I don't think it's dangerous, assuming that's the problem on your car. My n/s link has been completely missing since late December 2004 and I'm still alive (and have acclimatised to the constant knocking and poor handling) [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
BenW

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:28 pm

lol [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cool. Just wanted to make sure.
It's damn embarassing when going over bumpy roads though.... :oops:
ZeroRisk

by callycool » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:48 pm

could be your shoxs have you had them changed
callycool

by ZeroRisk » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:05 am

Hi Cally, I haven't had the shox changed. Everything is standard on the car except my front brake discs. Which, I might add, the right disc has some sort of yellowy-brown stuff baked on....

I was reading on the Topbuzz website that if the CV boot splits then it splashes the grease over the driveshaft and braking system. Could this be yet another problem? [img]/sad.gif[/img]
ZeroRisk

by Peruzzi » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:44 pm

Ive just acquired this same problem! From the front right aswell.
Seems to have happened over night.

Im a complete novice with mechanicking, is the roll bar link easy to see/change?

Mine seems only to clunk when I turn left, or hit a bump.

As long as its not dangerous it can wait till payday.
Peruzzi

by Robert_Dale » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:12 pm

chaps it might be your wishbone bushes, they fail on the mot, these cause a lot of clunking!!!

these are the big round ones at the back of your wishbones, they start to wear down and fall out!
Robert_Dale

by Peruzzi » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:22 pm

Hope it is, the wishbone bushes are £4 each on AutoVaux!
Peruzzi

by ZeroRisk » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Wishbone bushes eh? If it's cheaper then I like the sound of that! [img]/tongue.gif[/img]

Have to wait now though as I have a lot of moving to do and don't wanna have the car in bits until the next couple of weeks anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys!
ZeroRisk

by ROG » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 pm

wishbone bushes might only be 4 pound, ive tried fitting them into the wishbone, far easier to but a wishbone with the new joint on it , new bushes in it and get the antirollbar link at the same time , i got 2 wishbones and antrolbar links for 50 pound and its all done , if you only fit new bushes, the other bits can fail at any time as the bushes have worn the other bits have had more wear as well.
ROG