Tracking!!!!!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Tracking!!!!!

by WillsToy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:05 pm

Ok so had two new tyres fitted so garage checked tracking free but cost if adjust etc.
Was only 3 degress out:(
Well the bloke tried to adjust and couldnt, asked if i could leave it for 2 -3 hrs may need a new trackrod end and a £70 labour bill..

Now he says this is normal for vauxhalls???
Is this true???

cheers in advance

Will
WillsToy

by Stupink » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:14 pm

yeah it's normal, apart from the £70 labour charge lol. even at £35 an hour thats 2 hours for whats a 30-45min job for both sides and tracking
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by davefly76 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:23 pm

did they fit a new track rod end?
davefly76

by WillsToy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 pm

nope he could'nt do it today as it was late after 5pm.
Just seemed odd him asking for £70 labour and then maybe £20 to 25 for the trackrod end aswell.
Unsure if i would take it back so thought i would ask here 1st or maybe get a second quote from somewhere esle.

Wonder what vauxhall would charge ??? [img]/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers again for the replies

Will [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
WillsToy

by Animal » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:15 pm

I got two new track rod ends today. Cost 59 squid for two, fitted.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by WillsToy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Animal+--><div class='quotetop'>(Animal)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I got two new track rod ends today. Cost 59 squid for two, fitted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats bloody good, shame i'm down in kent or would ask which garage [img]/wink.gif[/img]

Went to vauxhall to ask, bloke gave some good advice etc said that it was a fair price as vauxhall would charge about £200 :eek:

So I think i may get the car up on jacks as weekend and give it a bloody good soak in WD40 or something, see if that helps :roll:

Will
WillsToy

by Animal » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:41 pm

It was from charlie browns, I would have thought it would have been the same all over with them. [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
If you get some your self be carefull, I got some and put them on and they wouldnt go on far enough to track up properly, they bottomed everything out and it stil wouldnt go. lol.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by lammy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:33 pm

MMmm had mine tracked recently and like the other posts...garages hate doing vauxhalls due to the track rod ends seizing up! (typical Vauxhall quote!!)...if you can loosen them yourself that would help the garage...the place in Middlesbrough i took mine to caharged £25 plus £5 for heat, as this is how they free the seized rod ends..i needed one doing. Its worth paying to have them done (cost around £9 each) bit of a bugger sometimes so check around for a garage that'll do them for a reasonable labour price? now you have an idea, they can't pull the wool over your eyes...you will notice the difference.
SE9
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by wilko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:07 am

ye they are a nightmare to do calis cavs astras & some saabs have that setup easyest thing to do is pop the ball joint out on the track rod end undo the bolts behind the engine & take the whole arms out,then put in a vice undo the 2 pinchbolts & with some big vice grips try working it backwards & forwards try 2 avoid using heat cos if you use to much heat it makes the track rod brittle & they can crack,if they free off ( theyll b tight) twist them to the end apply some copper grease & wind them back in make sure you wind the threads equal on each side then itll be easy 4 them to track & your saving £70 4 an hour of your spare time
wilko

by thecrow » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:07 pm

Get some ACF-50 - yes its kind of similar to WD40 but it is miles better - my Uncle works for an aviation company that imports it and they use it on just about anything, leave it over night, and the bugger unseizes!

<a href="http://www.worldwideaviation.co.uk" target="_blank">www.worldwideaviation.co.uk</a> - theres a load of info there about it [img]/smile.gif[/img]
thecrow

by lammy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:36 am

Just ordered some ACF-50...read the blurb and sounds good...all bikers seem to use to use it to prevent corrosion..i've just cleaned my rear wheelarches out and fancy spraying it in there to keep the rust at away..will prob give the engine bay a once over too?..£12.99 a can + £2 delivery.
SE9
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by thecrow » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:51 am

Same as I paid for mine from Transair - I'm actually doing the same today as my track rod ends are seized. Let me know how you get on [img]/smile.gif[/img]
thecrow