urgent help....

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

urgent help....

by BazV6er » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:06 pm

After going to the small hook meet ,i noticed a have a loud clunking sound coming from the passenger front side,i have looked and i think it looks like i am missing a bolt underneath and i think its from the anti roll bar where it joins to the lower arm just behind the wheel.has anyone got any pics of this ?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by BenW » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:13 pm

I changed mine the other day but didn't take any pics, sorry! Happy to have a look for you (to confirm or deny) if you want to nip up to Tadley!
BenW

by BazV6er » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 pm

hi ben thanks for the offer mate i only have tomorrow off though and will probably be at work ,i was gonna get my tyres changed over but it looks like im gonna have to fix this first ,i have taken a pic of the problem it seems to be missing a bolt from underneath the lowerarm that it uis supposed to bolt upto...
Was i correct ben does this look like the anti roll bar link?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Blossey » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:23 pm

That IS the anti-roll bar link, can't really make out from the quality of the picture whether it's broken though.

If it's not attached on the underside of the arm then yes you'll have to replace the link, only a few quid from motor factors but can be a real git to remove and replace. I had to cut mine off and get a garage to fit the new one.
Blossey

by BenW » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:17 am

If that's the side that's knocking, perhaps it's only missing the bolt that holds it onto the lower arm? That would make a nice cheap fix.

If it all needs replacing, I'd buy the part then take it to Kwik Fit or somewhere and ask them to fit it 'for a drink' - I think you have the earlier push-on type and they are supposed to be a right git to change.
BenW

by BazV6er » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:35 am

ben ,

ive rang my local cafco and they had the part on the shelf for £5 +vat and onestop down near my work said they will fit it for £38
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Blossey » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Thats a fairly reasonable price for the fitting, I assume that's probably their 1 hour labour charge.
Probably took VTS 30 mins to change one of mine a while back including getting it all up onto ramps etc so add a little longer for a non-Calibra aware garage and I'd settle for £38.
One of those 'simple' jobs where its worth paying someone else to do it as it reduces the potential rage of giving it a go yourself and not being able to do it!
Blossey

by BazV6er » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:53 am

apparently it wasseized on there so they had to cut it off.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by AndiSe5 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:50 pm

If it was siezed on then it doesnt sound like it was broke.

Usualy the bottom bolt just snaps off when replacing them.
AndiSe5

by Blossey » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:39 pm

First time I tried to remove mine I could have sworn it was super-glued or bolted on somehow, they're impossible to move so you literally have to cut the drop-link off the anti-roll bar, through the plastic and rubber. I tried with a junior hacksaw before changing over to a 'whacking great hacksaw'. Even after that there was still some rubber stuck to the anti-roll bar which needed to be ground down.

Glad it's all sorted anyway.
Blossey

by ROG » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:44 pm

on my cav i used an angle grinder, no probs!
ROG