Help needed with lowering - are Gmax OK??

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Help needed with lowering - are Gmax OK??

by dazjb » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi,

I'm ready to lower my motor, have been doing a bit of searching around and have found a Gmax full kit -40mm drop (springs and shockers) brand new for £160 + £20 P&P. I've done a bit of searching on forums and found mixed views on the Gmax stuff, some have got on great with it, others haven't.

As much as I would like to I haven't got the £££ to spend on the the top quality stuff, I was considering just getting Eibach springs and leaving the standard shockers but the Gmax kit is not that much more expensive and its a full kit.

Can anybody help me out and give me any advice to help me make up my mind - to Gmax or not to Gmax? All I'm armed with at the moment to lower my car with is a couple of hundred quid!

Cheers
dazjb

by Col » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:40 pm

ive not had any probs, nice ride hieght and not too stiff a ride
Col

by jayl645 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:42 pm

ive used g-max springs on my old car and i wouldn't buy them again,the ride felt quite unstable and very hard,if i was u i would get a 2nd had decent set,not a realy old 2nd hand set but quite a new 2nd hand set if that makes sense,keep youe eyes open they do come around,
but then again i had them in my standard shocks!!!,
im sure others will put there likes and dislikes up soon,
cheers jay
jayl645

by Peruzzi » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:08 pm

I heard that you are better off with just springs, on standard shocks? No need for the full kit?
Peruzzi

by swchoi » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:45 pm

shorter spring normaly needs shorter piston rod damper to match up. I wouldn't go tight budget on suspension set up, save up till you can afford Bilstein yellow kit or Koni with eibach spring. These won't never go wrong.
swchoi

by dazjb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:52 pm

Thanks for all your comments. Yep, thats the mixed response i've been reading about ... hmmm!!

Back to square one ... i'm stuck between getting the full Gmax setup or just going for the Eibach springs, I thought it would be a good idea to get the full kit with shockers (even if it is Gmax) as the shocks on a 12 year old car are probably very worn anyway! :confused:
dazjb

by swchoi » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:32 pm

I would get the eibach spring first if I was you. And then Koni dampers to follow
swchoi

by jayl645 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:38 pm

lowering springs on normal dampers wear the dampers out twice as quick tho,
jayl645