lowering help wanted please

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

lowering help wanted please

by jayl645 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:22 pm

i have got some shocks and springs that need fitted (thanks iecwizard) and having trouble getting this ball joint off,ive got a ball joint splitter the v shape type,ive beaten it to within a inch of its life and it wont budge at all, was looking forward to lowering this weekend so some quick replys would be great,
thanks jay

ive wasted 2 hours on this bolt and its not funny:no:
jayl645

by jayl645 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:40 pm

4 got the pic
jayl645

by daddycool » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:04 pm

You could try a 'screw type' splitter, but I've never had one that wouldn't shift with a big hammer.
daddycool

by Stupink » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:19 pm

Got an airgun to put on the splitter?
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jayl645 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:25 pm

ive got a air gun and compressor but how will that help( confused )
i think ill burrow my mates 4lb lump hammer and give it loads of whacks with that,if that fails ill buy a screw type splitter and hopefully ill get it off,

cheers for the replys jay
jayl645

by Stupink » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:36 pm

Sorry, mis understood splitter type.. you mean you have a fork type? they shaft the joint so i never buy them.. they're only any good for removing duff joints for replacing, you shouldnt ever re-use a joint split with them..

It's not worthe knackering up your strutt.. if you dont mind, then smack the actual strut at 90degrees to the trackrod end and it should pop out.. but just buy a propper splitter scissor type or inline type or whatever.. thats what i thought you meant by V to begin with a scissor type, which you can put an airgun on for awkward ones u seeeeee [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jayl645 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:38 pm

ah i understand now , ive got the fork type , ill see how i get on tomorrow , and let u know ,
cheers jay

the strut might get a beating if all else fails ,

is it just me or does everyone have problems as soon as they touch there cally, was one of those days
jayl645

by chas27 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:49 pm

its not you.
chas27

by dazjb » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:23 pm

Yeah, the scissor type do the job a treat. Did my CV boot yesterday and had to pop off the lower balljoint that goes onto the hub. Most of the time was wasted grinding down the top arm of the balljoint seperator to get it in the narrow gap, once it was in there it popped the balljoint apart easily.
dazjb