Tyre wear

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by Paul » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:50 pm

Just been told that my rear tyres are virtually illegal.

The thing is it's only a small band on the inside edge thats worn.
The middle - outside still have about 3mm worth of tread on.
Has anyone else had this problem?

(The car HASN'T been lowered by the way)
Paul

by Stupink » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:08 pm

there is a natural camber on the cars anyway.. if you dont keep rotating them then they will wear on the inside.. mine are the same, its lowered but been corrected back to near stock levels. its worse for me as i've only corrected the rears, so the fronts still do it.. its no big deal for me, i dont let tyres get anywhere near the 1.6 mm legal limit anyway, its far too dangerous by then, 3mm is about the lowest mine get before being replaced.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Paul » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:38 pm

My fronts are worn on the inside edge too, but not quite to the same extent.

It's annoying because the main part of the tyre is fine. It's those single lines you get in a lot of tread patterns that come in from the edge, bend a bit and then stop. They're the ones that are worn.
Looks like a whole new set of tyres may be on the cards.

Suppose it's pointless having an alignment check done, as the camber isn't adjustable anyway, is it?
Paul

by Stupink » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:31 pm

no its not, not without changing the bushes or getting ajustables. and that costs too... however it might be worth gettiing it checked, it might be out of spec from accident damage or something. in which case replacing damaged parts will sort it [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:15 pm

Its definately worth getting it checked. No point in replacing tyres when they will just do the same thing. Most places sell a rear camber kit but not front! The suspension will sag as it ages causing the camber to go out! Not cheep which ever option!
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

ecu number..

by Robert_Dale » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:50 pm

Mines tha same - worn badly on the inside - but it is lowered -40mm
Robert_Dale

by carl_freeman » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:13 pm

Im thinking of getting mine lowered by 40mm... I have read that this will cause increased negative camber and therefore more tyre wear on the inner edges, is this always the case? or can you get away with it if your offset and wheel width are correct? I'm planning to get some 17"s and have a 1996 2.0 16 valve. :?:
carl_freeman

by Dan Willis » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:00 am

ANY change to your ride height will result in camber change - and even with "correction" it'll still wear more.

You want it low... you pays your monies in more than one way [img]/wink.gif[/img]
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by V6_E » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:32 am

My V6 is lowered on 30mm 16v springs coz courtenay sent the wrong kit which i found out after it was fitted and has turned into 40 to 50mm but a week ago the nsr wheel had 3mm on the outside tread but had gone through the rubber and into the second layer of thread on the inside edge (new tyre straight away) but if you get it lowered i cant recommend enough getting powerflex bushes fitted

E
P Reg V6 In Titanium Pearl thats going to be stripped for parts now after being let down on it being bought whole :(

Now in a Crono yellow 2010 Seat Leon Cupra R with all the toys
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net