Vauxhall Calibra ABS ECU

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

honesty is the best policy

by splinter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:36 am

Ok can someone tell me where abouts in the car is this, as my abs is playing up and i need to know where it is.
Thank you. :?
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Topbuzz » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:20 pm

Haynes book shows the ABS.
The ABS unit, as in the pump and soloniods, is under the bonnet, next to the PAS bottle. Should say ABS on top of the plastic cover.
The ABS electronic unit can be in several places.
Some are under a box section beside the passerger seat and others are behind the dash. TIS does show the locations for these units.
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by splinter » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:51 am

Ok thanks.
Right ive just won this on e bay, But will it fit mine, as on the side of my unit it says BB, On this one it says BA ????

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2472561939" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=2472561939</a>
Thanks.

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jaybv6 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:06 am

The answer is no. I think I remember Steve U replying to one of your posts stating that if your's says BB then the replacement must be the same.
jaybv6

by jaybv6 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:07 am

Ans your original post with the answer is here
<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1561" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=...iewtopic&t=1561</a>
jaybv6

Sunday April 18th! Whos watching?

by Leigh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:40 am

Jay / Steveu.

Does the ABS ECU store fault codes in the same way as the main ECU?

I've got an intermittent ABS light which I suspect is a loose connection as it 99% happens after turning left sharply (so right side sensor/cable?)

Thing is last time it happened and I deliberatley drove with the ABS light on for a few mins, then when I tried to flash to code out all I got was a stream of 12's . I had switched the ignition off after returning home before I tried to read the code, but with the main ECU that wouldn't clear the code..
Leigh

by Topbuzz » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:22 pm

> Does the ABS ECU store fault codes in the same way as the main ECU?

Yes.
Remember the ABS ECU is totaly seprate from the engine ECU.
So the ABS ECU also does its own self check when powering up.
Your failure comes on during a journey.
So all sensors etc are a pass when they are static during the quick self check phase.
The light needs to be on for more than 30 sec to log a fault.
The fault code should be present no mater how many times you tuen off/on the engine.
Disconnecting the battery will wipe the codes.
What pins did you short out on the ALDL plug, think its A & K and not A & B.
Again, see my website for the guide.
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Yeh, A&K Topbuzz, cos I checked your site first :-) (as always!)

Coincidently it did it shortly after leaving to drive to work this morning, and I drove for a good 7 mins with it lit, so I'll try reading the codes when I get home tonight.
Leigh

by Leigh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:34 pm

Ah hah... perhaps I was unlucky last time, or perhaps I didn't wait long enough...

Just went out and flashed the fault codes out..
got 39
" 39 LH Front Speed Sensor Check Air Gap & Operation"

Any ideas how or what to check on it? If it had complained about connection/resistance then I'd think wiring, but that sounds horribly liek "buy a shiny new ABS sensor" to me, strange that it's intermittent tho.
Leigh

by jaybv6 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:43 pm

jack the car up and remove the Front LH wheel. Check that the sensor has not got any crap on it and that it's not touching the toothed wheel. If not and all lokos ok then you will need to replace the sensor. Also check where the abs sensor plugs into the loom. Disconnect and check for corrosion, spray with wd40 and lubricate as necessary.
jaybv6

by Leigh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:36 pm

Cheers Jay, I had a quick look in the Haynes earlier and it looks fairly straightforward to get to (famous last words...),

I hope it does just need a clean or maybe it's not quite seated right in the bracket,

I was leaning towards "bad connection" for quite a while as it only seems to happen turning left, and once after a bad pothole.
I guess I'll see at the weekend weather permitting (and assuming I can undo the wheel bolts previously tightened by King Kong)

Should hopefully have rocker cover gasket and dipstick pipe gasket arriving tommorow from Autovaux, so gonna change those as well
Leigh

by splinter » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:05 am

Ok , Will the abs not work at all if one of the sensors are broken?

As mine isnt working at all.

I had the abs apart the other day and there is power going to it as when i moved a realy it made a noise !!!
But my mate came round with the tec 1, and my car wont read falt codes??? Something wrong there.
But i will have to get it sorted.

So where in the car is the abs ECU??????

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jaybv6 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:49 am

Ian, the ABS ecun is in one of two places. Either next to the passenger seat between the seat and the door ot behind the dashboard somewhere.

If one or more sensors are faulty then this will stop the ABS from working but Should bring up the Engine management light. In your case it could just be the ABS ECU that is knackered (BTW this is not the block that is in the engine bay).
jaybv6

by splinter » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:31 am

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If one or more sensors are faulty then this will stop the ABS from working but Should bring up the Engine management light.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right thanks Jay, as this is whats happing the light is on and no one home. :? [not working ]

Ok thanks i will have a look for the ecu.

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:25 pm

errr, mine must read the forum! since I posted about it yesterday it's got more regular, ABS light on the way to work, and on the way home...
and it's p*ssing down at the moment, hope it's dry tommorow..
Leigh

Next