Squeeky Steering

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by CallyScot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:04 pm

Whenever I'm driving very slowly or when reversing into driveway, whilst actually turning the steering wheel to the right I get a really loud sqeeking. I sound as if something needs lubricating. It is coming from the engine bay from the drivers side, but the noise does not happen when driving normally or when at a standstill.

Any ideas?
CallyScot

by edenwarren » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:44 pm

have you checked you power steering fluid level? Eden.
edenwarren

by CallyScot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-edenwarren+--><div class='quotetop'>(edenwarren)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->have you checked you power steering fluid level? Eden.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, it's fine. Also the noise does'nt happen when at standstill. And it never happens when steering left, only right, and it is'nt one long squeak, it is 3 or 4 squeaks.
CallyScot

by skellem » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:31 am

Does it happen when the cars off, ie is it the power steering pump maybe? If it's the pump it won't happen when the car's turned off...

I've just had to bleed mine, it makes a bloody racket when there's air trapped in the system! It's a bit strange that it only happens one way though??!!
skellem

by CallyScot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:43 pm

It only happens when reversing onto my drive (uphill slope) and another road which is uphill. The steering is perfectly fine, its just that annoying squeaking.
CallyScot