Shaking - doing my head in!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by andy1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:56 am

i know its a long shot in the dark but try this
take the front tyres of the alloys and get them balanced,
andy1

by Animal » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Have you tried sticking some normal wheels or different ones at least on. Just to eliminate the wheels?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by carson » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:06 am

find a garage that does on car balancing.by that i mean balancing whilst the wheels are still on the car.that way they make sure the wheels and hubs are balanced.wheels only need balanced on the outer edges is a myth..
carson

by MadOnVaux! » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:08 pm

Update:

Had it back in to my garage who have had further investigations...checked tyre's in detail for any unever tread pattern or bulges, non found, checked all steering and suspension components, all OK and re-balanced the wheels, which were found to be slightly out again...and its still shaking, IMO dangerously...at 60mph its quite uncontrollable.

I dont know what to do next...im sure its the tyres as i had something similar when i bought the car, it had a pair of Nangkangs on it and one was slightly mis-moulded and was causing the similar shaking.

Thing is, its only started doing it since the new Toyo's were fitted, so that would say its the tyres at fault...i'll have to swap front to back and see if that makes any difference.

I will try the on-car balancing if i can find a place that does it.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Phantom » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 pm

well believe it or not I've even heard that if the rears are out of balance it can also affect the front, but tbh I have the exact same problem, I've changed everything but the steering rack so far so I just live with it now, and this has been like it since I bought it as standard with standard wheels, funnily my other calibra does not suffer from this
Phantom

by Robert_Dale » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:49 pm

have you checked for sprigot rings as they mentioned above mate? are they present?
Robert_Dale

by MadOnVaux! » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:57 pm

Yep, spiggot rings all present and correct.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robert_Dale » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 am

could it be your brake disks not warped but not balance properly, sure some places balance them all when the car is on the ramp, about £40 me thinks, might be worth checking it out?
Robert_Dale

by MadOnVaux! » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Robert_Dale+--><div class='quotetop'>(Robert_Dale)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->could it be your brake disks not warped but not balance properly, sure some places balance them all when the car is on the ramp, about £40 me thinks, might be worth checking it out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was one of the thoughts i had, but my garage said that it would be more noticeable then through the brake pedal, and it isnt...im sure its the tyres, just have to wait until i get hold of a new rear hub before i can swap them round.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by LE16 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:17 pm

LOL drama queens,

It aint from an accident, and its very unlikely that someones car is ten mill shorter on on side as the pannels wouldnt fit!!

I am having the same problems, Wheels are balanced. Its not bushes, Im going to check my driveshafts because it's likely that the rubber bung that VX stole off my shaft is causing this and there is a possibility that I damaged a CV joint and its throwing a wobble in. What ever you do mate, be methodical coz this lot will have you knocking round the doors to see if your har has been secretly driven over night by santa clause LOL
Sean

SE5 Turbo
LE 07
LE 16
Turbo
Another Turbo
Se7
V6
16V
8v
Club Member
Club Member

by MadOnVaux! » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:54 pm

UPDATE:

Been a while as i needed a rear hub to replace the one that i stripped the threads on, before i could try something...

So, replacement hub fitted, and swapped the wheels front to back...and...the shaking is no more, so that would pinpoint faulty/misshaped new tyres as my wheels arent buckled and the balance had been checked 3 times.

The odd thing is, they said any imperfection in the tyres (and indeed buckling of the wheel) would have showed up on the balance machine, but it didnt...but it cant be anything else but the tyres.

I will be speaking to 'MyTyres' this week to see what i need to do to claim on the warranty.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MJ » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:00 pm

well dont expect a reply, they are after all inanimate objects! [img]/smile.gif[/img]
MJ

by Stupink » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:17 pm

just because the tyre is balanced, doesn't mean its round. spin it by hand on the hub with the car jacked, you may be able to see something.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:46 pm

MJ - lmao, aye, just realised how id worded that, lol, what a bloody goof [img]/wink.gif[/img]

Stupink - I did try that and i thought i fealt a slight mishape in the d/s front, but my garage couldnt find anything.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:54 pm

@rse!...i was just about to contact MyTyres regards these tyres and i have deleted the sales reciept email, and i never printed one off!...bugger bugger bugger...suppose i'll just have to put up with them on the back [img]/sad.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext