knocking sound????

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by liney » Sat May 22, 2004 6:18 pm

hi all, got a kocking sound coming from the drivers side front wheel. this mainly happens when steering both directions slowly on bumpy roads. had the car jacked up an theres real movement on the wheel. track rod ends seem ok as do the anti-roll bar links. its only lowered on the rear (40mm) but will do the front when i sort this problem out. its also got a spacesaver on the offside rear. (ad a blow last sunday!!) any advice cause the sounds doing me nut in! sorry for the long thread. cheers liney.
liney

by KevV6 » Sat May 22, 2004 11:36 pm

Drive shaft liney ? Thought maybe anti roll bar but you say thats ok
KevV6

by liney » Sun May 23, 2004 2:16 am

thought that myself, gonna have a mechanic check it out. roll on payday!
liney

by Stupink » Sun May 23, 2004 9:24 am

<!--QuoteBegin-liney+--><div class='quotetop'>(liney)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->had the car jacked up an theres real movement on the wheel. .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is that a typo or did you mean that? If theres movement its the bearing, it might just want tightening.
I'm assuming that was a typo tho [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by liney » Sun May 23, 2004 3:48 pm

sorry that should've said theres no real movement on the wheel, other than it turning.
liney

by Hotrod » Sun May 23, 2004 4:12 pm

Sounds like the driveshaft to me, get both joints checked out on the offending side, probably the hub end, is the gaitor split?
Hotrod

by liney » Sun May 23, 2004 10:48 pm

gaitors are fine, no spilts or anything. gonna get a mate to check it over, see if he can find anything.
liney

by SecondOne » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:58 am

any further news on what was wrong ?
SecondOne

by turboflash » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:45 pm

The 2.oL vauxhall set up uses ths same CV joint throughout the range9abs rings may differ though) and are prone to failure [img]/sad.gif[/img] , knockin normally occurs wen turning 1 way more than the other unless both are damaged(which can happen). The boots/gaiters don't have to be split but it is common and failure tends to be down to loss of grease and lubrication inside the joint. If you are going to renew the cv then i'd advise to get a nu boot as well
turboflash

by terryjr » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:22 pm

Sounds like the ball joints to me; had the same symptons when mine went.
You will need to unbolt the anti-roll bar mount from the side you want to check, and check for any play in the ball joint. You may have to use a jack to compress the spring to change the angle of the arm and keep checking for play.

Hope this helps if you haven't sorted it already.
terryjr