Knocking from front

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Knocking from front

by ValverRob » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:10 pm

I've had a knoking on the front of my cally more or less since I got it and it was eating ARB links so I changed both wishbones (and the rear bushes were both hanging out, that would explain the snapped ARB links!!) but theres still a knock, now its more like a crack, not all the time, mainly braking fairly hard at slow speeds (about 5-10mph) but noticed it more now we have snow, when it starts to spin the wheels a bit then suddenly gets grip theres a nasty knock

All the bolts in the wishbones are tight, the bottom ball joints are brand new with the wishbones and the nuts are tight, 2 new ARB links so again, nice and tight

What could it be? Strut tops maybe? The steering is still smooth with no nasty noises, got me puzzled!

Answers on a postcard!

Thanks,
Rob
ValverRob

by kev208 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Could be the brakes, calipers loose?
kev208

by ValverRob » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:17 pm

I'll check that tomorrow, I dont think they are but better be on the safe side, but its worse when it suddenly gets grip after wheel spinning in the snow and doesnt always happen when I brake
ValverRob

by kev208 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:22 pm

Might be worth checking the springs for damage, one may have cracked/snapped. Does the car sit at a slight angle?
kev208

by ValverRob » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:27 pm

It sits at a slight angle but one of the rear springs is snapped, I'll check the front ones tomorrow as well then!

Thanks,
Rob
ValverRob

by ValverRob » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:33 pm

Right, I've checked springs, brake calipers and wishbone bolts, all good, but it's still knocking, I can make it happen by reversing slowly then braking hard, then moving forward slowly and braking hard, my girlfriend said she can feel the knock through her feet, is there anything suspension related that's under/near the passenger side footwell that could be worn?

What about arb bushes, where it mounts to the car, how easy are they to get at to check/replace?

Thanks,
Rob
ValverRob

by stainesy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:22 pm

i had exactly the same thing happen to me. i took my car to get checked out thinking it was a ball joint and turns out i needed a new H frame.
stainesy

by calise9 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Arb Bushes Cost Less Than A 10er From Any Motor Factors Depending Which Type Of Arb Link It Is If Its Ball Joint Type Easy If Its Lollypop Type Nightmare
calise9

by Phil » Thu May 24, 2007 5:20 pm

Worth checking the front struts. My front passenger strut was loose, they have a nut somewhere just inside the wheel arch. Apparantly they are a comon thing to unscrew and knock.
(At least this is free to fix...)
Phil

by cally8v » Thu May 24, 2007 5:31 pm

it happened to me to it was a balljoint so i just replaced the whole section
cally8v

by wantredtop » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:33 pm

if your arb link breaks and needs replacing, it is easyier or more viable just to replace the whole wishbone? becuase wont that include the arb link?
wantredtop

by Robs-se » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-wantredtop+--><div class='quotetop'>(wantredtop)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->if your arb link breaks and needs replacing, it is easyier or more viable just to replace the whole wishbone? becuase wont that include the arb link?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, ARB is seperate
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Knocking front end

by Pirate » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 am

[font=Arial] [/font][B]My poor 1992 Calibra is still knocking! I replaced ARB pendulem link, after discovering it smashed to pieces (fancy making it out of plastic!!) There are no obvious visable problems, just a knocking noise... Sounds like it is coming from the front drivers side wheel arch area. Any ideas??
Pirate

by vinny_69 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:26 pm

describe what your doing when it knocks mate. i.e turning,slowing down,speed bumps. :-k
vinny_69

by Fraz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:45 pm

as some said check your sub frame ...would check the bolts are tight and also the actually sub frame itself for cracks
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next