Noise When Turning Right

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by cwaigy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:12 am

I've only just noticed it today but when turning right in my Cally I am getting this knocking sound that continues for the duration of the turn, the more so the sharper I turn. The noise level is the same regardless of whether the windows are shut or open so the sound appears to be travelling through the car rather than coming from outside. It sounds like it's coming from near the front somewhere, but I can't work out whether it's the wheel, or anything else further back towards the door.

At a guess I'd say its the exhaust knocking against the underside of the car but I've got my doubts as the knocking is quite rythmic for the duration of the turn, i.e. its not one knock then thats it, you get a few knocking noises, also it doesn't happen when you turn left, only right.

I need some new tyres soon so could get them to put it up on a ramp to take a look, but any ideas would be appreciated as to the possible cause of the knocking before I take it somewhere.

Cheers
Craig
cwaigy

by lee683 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:07 am

its ur CV joint or wheel bearings
mine has been doing the same thing for awhile but when i turn left. when i got my wheel aliment and balance done back in feb i think. he told me that my wheel bearing was on its way out.
the other week i was under my car and saw the CV boot was like this.
lee683

by Col » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

yep, id put money on it being your CV joint
Col

by Naz » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:01 pm

mor than likely it is your CV joint. Have a look under the car. If you have a split in the boot, then probably the joint has gine dry over the time and its buggered. If the wheel bearing was shafted you get more of a rubbing noise than clunking(knocking). If you don't wanna spend lots money, go to scrap yard and get a whole drive shaft for the side that the noise is coming from. Inspect the shaft though so that the boot is not split on the one you get. I would say the will charge you about £40 to fit it and supply it(scrap yard)
Naz

by lee683 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:09 am

like whats happened to mine
lee683

by Robert_Dale » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:54 pm

Dude i have the same problem - think its the cv joint to
Robert_Dale