weird knocking noise

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by RobbieV » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:18 pm

DeepSnoozer wrote:
RobbieV wrote:WD40 is a penetrating oil, cleaner, lubricant and an anti corrosive solution, no way is it going to cause metal to corrode................. so next wild guess ?

the bushes are made of rubber

WD40 will not effect rubber and if you had read earlier posts in this thread you will have noticed Baz's reply about changing the droplinks.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DeepSnoozer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 pm

RobbieV wrote:
DeepSnoozer wrote:
RobbieV wrote:WD40 is a penetrating oil, cleaner, lubricant and an anti corrosive solution, no way is it going to cause metal to corrode................. so next wild guess ?

the bushes are made of rubber

WD40 will not effect rubber and if you had read earlier posts in this thread you will have noticed Baz's reply about changing the droplinks.

i dont know about that, i just said that because what calibra_mike said

Calibra_Mike wrote:WD40 kills rubber... but it shouldnt have done it in a day? In future you want to avoid getting WD40 on rubber, it causes it to go brittle over time...

As for the knocking, ive had some on my cally and so far ive replaced, the tie rod ends, ARB links, the shocks and springs, just got the LSA including ball joints to replace... no knocking noises now... could well be the shocks though...

also if you have read my post correctly you would have noticed that i was not talking about the droplinks i was talking about the rubber bushes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CAVALIER ... dZViewItem
DeepSnoozer

by RobbieV » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Sorry thought you was talking about droplinks.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by BazV6er » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:42 pm

ok ive had the car tracked and they picked up a problem , its looks like theres a fair bit of play in the steering rack as now and again in 1st gear/2nd gear theres a loud knock ...

now how much do you think i would be looking at to repair it , as well as a slightly leaking oil sump, slightly perished rubber around the fuel cap as well as quite a bit of rust.

now i know i wanted a v6 and i think it may be cheaper to get a v6 than to get my car fixed up but i cant say when this will be ...

would i get much for bits broken up maybe? this is just a thought at the moment (it has been a brilliant calibra over the last four years) and i really wanna keep it for at least one more year.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Calibra_Mike » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:21 pm

If you decide to fix it I have a spare steering rack, should fit your model, came off a cavalier GSi

Yours for £15 plus postage unless you want to collect...

Let me know...

The sump is pretty easy, just time consuming, did mine on my 8v and took about 3hrs...

As for fitting the steering rack, better off getting a garage to do it...
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tazz666 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:24 pm

hi there baz , if you are going to do the work yourself it wont be that sore on the pocket, a new steering rack is about £70 to £100 the gasketts for the sump are'nt that bad either i think i piad £20 or there abouts and th knocking could be the gearbox mount, so i dont think that it would cost that much to repair youre calli
tazz666

Previous