Anti-roll bar & wishbone linkage/bush

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by Blossey » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:21 pm

I have a 93 Calibra turbo.

I noticed that one of my CV boots was beginning to split last month, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a clunking noise when turning right. Assumed that the grease had now dried out & CV joint was knackered so went and bought a new CV joint & boot kit today. When I looked at it, the CV boot still hadn't actually split through yet but the link between the end of the anti-roll bar and the wishbone (lower arm) had completely sheared off (the same has happened on both the drivers and passengers side). Therefore it was the anti-roll bar being knocked each time I turned hard right.

I've managed to cut the plastic bush bit off, but I don't seem to be able to get the rubber off the end of the anti-roll bar. How is this connected and is it possible to get it off, surely I don't need to replace the entire anti-roll bar do I?

Excuse the dodgy technical terms, I can post a picture if it makes it any easier!

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Andy
Blossey

Anti-roll bar & wishbone linkage/bush

by skellem » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:37 pm

I had the same problem when helping Julian with his. The earlier models seem to have the link pressed on to the anti roll bar. After 45 minutes of swearing, hot water, grease and a variety of hammers we gave up and he said he would go to the garage and get it done! I think it may need some kind of special tool to get it on, but someone else may know of another solution.
skellem

by K5 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:37 pm

you will have to hacksaw that off as well! we did it last weekend. You will then have to get a Garage to put on the new one as there is no way you will get it on. Garage will charge you an hours labour.
K5

by Mel » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:05 am

As posted above, you will have to use a hacksaw to remove the remains of the old bushes. but be very careful not to cut into the anti-roll bar itself.
But first check how much of the bar prutrudes beyond the drop link bush and make a note of this, as you need to know how far to drive the new ones on.
Fitting the new ones is awkward, but not impossible.
When the remains of the old ones have been removed, use wet and dry or emery cloth to polish up the ends of the roll bar. You must remove all traces of the enamel coating and any rust that has built up where the coating is missing. Now liberally coat the end of the bar and the inside of the new drop link with molyslip grease or a thick washing up liquid. I think the grease is slightly better. Using a wooden/rubber mallet and a spacer, quickly drive the drop link onto the end of the antiroll bar. It is important that this is done quickly, else the pressure exerted by the drop link around the bar will squeeze out the lubricant and then the bloody thing jams solid. drive it on until the same amount of bar protrudes , as noted above.
The trick to getting them on is speed.
Mel

by lomathst » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:36 am

A tip I was given by a garage was to put the bush in boiling water for 15 minutes and coat the shaft in washing up liquid. The bush will then just slide on, but you only get a minute or so to align it before the rubber shrinks again.
lomathst

Bimmer scum

by skellem » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-lomathst+--><div class='quotetop'>(lomathst)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A tip I was given by a garage was to put the bush in boiling water for 15 minutes and coat the shaft in washing up liquid. The bush will then just slide on, but you only get a minute or so to align it before the rubber shrinks again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We tried that, but to no avail! It went on a bit further, but still only less than half way :evil: That's why Julian and I gave up [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
skellem

by Blossey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:18 pm

ok, thanks for the replies guys.

I shall give it a go myself, armed with plenty of grease, hot water, emery paper, a bl**dy big hammer and roughly 30 minutes worth of patience.

Failing that I'll then find a garage with a bigger hammer, slightly more patience and a low labour charge!

Thanks for the advice.
Blossey

by wolfy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:50 pm

didnt boil the new bush but got mine on using VERY soapy washing up liquid(not water)....it DID set very quick though. good luck anyway matey!

J
wolfy