front shock remolval

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by Twigz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:50 am

Hi All

I'm currently in the process of starting to remove my front shocks for renewal. I'm having a bit of a problem with the bottom castella nut and the drive shaft hub nut. I've tried WD40 but its not budging them and I dont want to get heavy handed(nut splitters! oh missus!). Also, How do I stop the drive shaft from moving when trying to move the d/s nut?

I have this weekend to do it and if I dont I get banished from the workshop! :shock: :cry: :shock:

Plkease help me! [img]/laugh.gif[/img]
Twigz

by Mel » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:58 am

The driveshaft nut should have been loosened/removed before jacking the car up, if really tight then get someone to stand on brakes as well.
the bottom castle nut :- try tightening a bit first then undoing.
If it is seized, then you will have to allow time for the wd40 to penetrate, which could be a few hours.
Mel

by Ivorcally » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:40 pm

Hi,

You can change the front shocks without undoing all that stuff. The shock can be removed through the hole in the inner wing after undoing the nuts at the top and the big nut that hold it to the strut. Do this with spring compressors on.

Keith [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Ivorcally

Rough Idle!!?!?

by Fraz » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Ivorcally+--><div class='quotetop'>(Ivorcally)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,

You can change the front shocks without undoing all that stuff. The shock can be removed through the hole in the inner wing after undoing the nuts at the top and the big nut that hold it to the strut. Do this with spring compressors on.

Keith [img]/smile.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred"><!--/coloro-->[/color][color=darkred]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

now that does sound dangerous...don't think I would recommended that method.spring clamps slips and they are under a LOT of pressure ...would take your arm off if the go
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net