V6 Brakes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:38 am

Hi guys,

Just a few quick questions.

Are turbo grooved discs standard on a V6?

Are Turbo and V6 brakes the same size? (Discs, calipers and pads)

Would Red Stuff Pads last longer than Green Stuff

Cheers.
ZeroRisk

by jaybv6 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:37 pm

Q - Are turbo grooved discs standard on a V6?
A - Grooved discs aren't standard on any Calibra. They are, however, vented.

Q - Are Turbo and V6 brakes the same size? (Discs, calipers and pads)
A - Yes they are. V6 and Turbo's shared the same brake setup. However pre 1995 (up to S chassis) Calibra Turbo's and V6's are different to those brakes fitted to post 1995 (T chassis onwards).

Q - Would Red Stuff Pads last longer than Green Stuff ?
A - Red stuff are more for track and they operate at a different temp. As far as I can remember they are unsuitable for general road use. here's EBC's own spiel

Latest and greatest formulation for fast street use

Redstuff Ceramic pad compound will blow your mind when used in anger on faster street cars such as Evo, Impreza, M3, Skyline and anything quick.

An ECE R90 approved pad, legal for street use yet capable of stopping you from regular 100mph plus runs without fade. The pads just keep getting better the more abuse you give them.
Available for all faster cars both modern and classic.

Fast/Heavy Street Use
Brake well from cold
Effective to above 650°C
Low dust formula

Triple award winning EBC Greenstuff pads are now available in an upgraded AF44/78 formulation for most European cars, again ECE R-90 compliant, yet the new formulation offers higher thermal conductivity and therefore reduces incidents of brake judder, better cold braking and better wear life over previous EBC green formulations. EBC Greenstuff is an excellent fast A road pad for all road legal cars, but is not for track day use.
jaybv6

by Smurf » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:17 pm

FYI - I just bought a new set of discs and pads for my V6 from Vauxhall using the standard parts (which aren't bad at all).

Cost was £130 for the lot, but that was with the trade club discount. It'll be about £190 without it.
Smurf

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:43 pm

Cheers for the info guys!
ZeroRisk

by jaybv6 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:19 pm

Zero, the price Neil quotes are for Front and Rears.
jaybv6

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:43 pm

So that's £130 for front and rear discs with pads?!?!?!
You get a £60 discount? How?

Would I really notice the performance degradation in getting standard pads and discs at the front instead of the turbo grooved discs with greenstuff pads that I'm currently using?
ZeroRisk

by Admin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:44 pm

You can get the discount through Vauxhall, when you are a paid up member of Club Calibra.

Details of how to join can be found on the site, in the Memberships forums.
Admin

by ZeroRisk » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:53 pm

Wow!

That's a massive incentive to join up!

I was going to anyway [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Do the discounts also count towards Vauxhall servicing and repairs?
ZeroRisk

by Admin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:55 pm

The vaxuall discounts are only on parts, not on labour.

Join up, you get the extra benefits of being a member, plus still save £40 over the normal vauxhall price! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Admin

by jaybv6 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:59 am

Zero, the Stock V6 Discs and pads are good. I did mine on my last Calibra V6 and the braking effeciancy was off the scale when it went to the MOT station. Only if you are thinking about going on the track should you really consider a better brake setup.

As for cost, I replaced my front discs/pads and calipers all for £150 with the Vauxhall Trade Club.
jaybv6

by Smurf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:52 am

I only managed to get my fronts on last weekend and they're pretty much worn in now and the braking efficiency is noticeably better!

The rears are still in a mess and need doing so I can't wait to see what the results are after they're done as well!
Smurf

v6 gearbox

by ZeroRisk » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:29 am

Cool!

Gonna sort it then as the guy who owned the car before me installed turbo grooved discs and it costs so much more to maintain them.
ZeroRisk

by jaybv6 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:21 pm

Neil, the braking effeciency is only about 10% or maybe 15% max on the rears meaning the fronts take 90% of the car's braking force.
jaybv6